Red carpet life can be tough. You have to pose with about 100 cameras and flashes pointed directly at you. Smiling can be tough work, y’all. So what’s a celeb to do in that instance? Well, there’s a new trend in town (and actually, it’s been around for while if you’ve ever flipped through a Victoria’s Secret catalog) and it’s called the “fish gape.” It’s when you loosen your lips and let them fall open a bit when posing for a pic. Why exactly do you see this look popping up left and right?
1. Blake Lively: This is A+ fish gaping right here. Blake poses with a slight tilt of her head, and notice how she’s letting just her top teeth show. This is like a super relaxed half-smile. (Photo via Theo Wargo/Getty)
2. Zoe Saldana: Sometimes the fish gape is all about feeling your own look. Zoe Saldana looks like a total bombshell here, so her fish gape + piercing stare conveys that perfectly. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
3. Angelina Jolie: Angie’s been doing the fish gape before it was known as that, so you can call her an OG. It’s actually just her signature pout. (Photo via Kevin Winter/Getty)
4. Rosie Huntington-Whitely: Rosie’s pout is so on point, everyone should be taking notes. Plus, you should definitely always gloss up your lips if you plan on sporting the pose. (Photo via Anthony Harvey/Getty)
5. Jennifer Lopez: JLo could probably teach a class on posing. But check out how this look totally draws your eyes to that plum lip color she has on. (Photo via Mike Coppola/Getty)
6. Lea Michele: Lea’s red carpet pose is total sex kitten. Bravo, Lea! (Photo via Jason Kempin/Getty)
7. Alice Eve: The Star Trek actress how the fish gape down pat. (Photo via Stuart C. Wilson/Getty)
8. Keira Knightly: This appears to be Keira Knightly’s go-to red carpet pose. And why not? The girl slays it. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
9. Gabrielle Union: The Being Mary Jane star looks particularly sensuous here and it’s all thanks to the pose (+ killer smoky eye and nude lip combo). (Photo via Neilson Barnard/Getty)
10. Salma Hayek: All hail the queen of the fish gape. Salma Hayek goes all out and shows us how it’s done. Bow down. (Photo via Noam Galai/Getty)
What do you think of the fish gape trend? Tell us in the comments below!