What Is Fish Gaping + Why Are All the Celebs Doing It?
Red carpet life can be tough. You have to pose with about 100 cameras and flashes pointed directly at you. Smiling can be tough work, y’all. So what’s a celeb to do in that instance? Well, there’s a new trend in town (and actually, it’s been around for while if you’ve ever flipped through a Victoria’s Secret catalog) and it’s called the “fish gape.” It’s when you loosen your lips and let them fall open a bit when posing for a pic. Why exactly do you see this look popping up left and right?
Because the look relaxes and slims your face, enhances the appearance of your lips (bonus points if they are glossed up or rocking a bold color) and makes you looks super sultry. It’s the brand-new “duck face” but waaaaaay more flattering. Plus, we suspect it’s a trend that will never die. All the celebs do it on the red carpet, so maybe try it out on your next selfie. But first, before all those holiday photo booth opportunities, let’s get some pointers from the pros…
1. Blake Lively: This is A+ fish gaping right here. Blake poses with a slight tilt of her head, and notice how she’s letting just her top teeth show. This is like a super relaxed half-smile. (Photo via Theo Wargo/Getty)
2. Zoe Saldana: Sometimes the fish gape is all about feeling your own look. Zoe Saldana looks like a total bombshell here, so her fish gape + piercing stare conveys that perfectly. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
3. Angelina Jolie: Angie’s been doing the fish gape before it was known as that, so you can call her an OG. It’s actually just her signature pout. (Photo via Kevin Winter/Getty)
4. Rosie Huntington-Whitely: Rosie’s pout is so on point, everyone should be taking notes. Plus, you should definitely always gloss up your lips if you plan on sporting the pose. (Photo via Anthony Harvey/Getty)
5. Jennifer Lopez: JLo could probably teach a class on posing. But check out how this look totally draws your eyes to that plum lip color she has on. (Photo via Mike Coppola/Getty)
6. Lea Michele: Lea’s red carpet pose is total sex kitten. Bravo, Lea! (Photo via Jason Kempin/Getty)
7. Alice Eve: The Star Trek actress how the fish gape down pat. (Photo via Stuart C. Wilson/Getty)
8. Keira Knightly: This appears to be Keira Knightly’s go-to red carpet pose. And why not? The girl slays it. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
9. Gabrielle Union: The Being Mary Jane star looks particularly sensuous here and it’s all thanks to the pose (+ killer smoky eye and nude lip combo). (Photo via Neilson Barnard/Getty)
10. Salma Hayek: All hail the queen of the fish gape. Salma Hayek goes all out and shows us how it’s done. Bow down. (Photo via Noam Galai/Getty)
What do you think of the fish gape trend? Tell us in the comments below!