These 10 Foods in Disguise Will Have You Doing a Double Take
Turns out, humans aren’t the only ones who can dress up as someone else for Halloween. While you might be making a flapper costume this year, your cupcake could one-up you by masquerading as a hamburger. Uh, yeah, you read that right. These foods may look familiar at first glance, but underneath their costumes, they’re different things entirely. Zoodles aren’t the only dressed-up foods on the scene anymore. Check out these 10 tricky food and drink items (and consider serving them at your own Halloween party!).
1. Frushi: These cute little rolls may look like raw fish, but they’re actually made with fruit! Frushi is a sweet vegan sushi option that’s sure to be a crowd pleaser any time you entertain. Pro tip: Coconut sugar is a fantastic addition to frushi, keeping it sweet and delicious.
2. Hamburger Cupcakes: It’s true — these savory, greasy-looking treats are actually sweet, delicate cupcakes. And the “sesame seeds” on top of the buns? SPRINKLES, baby!
3. Quinoa Sushi: Although this dish is still *technically* sushi, it’s definitely got a creative twist: It’s made with quinoa, rather than traditional sushi rice. This gives you the added bonus of adding even more healthy protein to your meal.
4. Red Velvet Milk and Cookies Shot: Shots, shots, shots, shots, shots, shots! Of milk and cookies? This red velvet cookie cup holds milk, making for a perfect all-in-one dessert. Spiking the milk with Baileys or vodka is completely optional.
View this post on Instagram
I love how creative people feed on each other, how one person's concept can inspire a bigger and better idea. My cupcakes made in egg shells are one of the most popular posts ever on my blog, but @aimadeitforyou took that concept to the next level by hiding my carrot curd inside the eggs as a yolk. Amazing!! Click the link in my profile to go to her site and see how the eggs look when opened up. Plus, aren't her nails just perfect! I always forget to paint mine before a shoot. #eastereggs #easterrecipes #easterbrunch #firstdayofspring #babyblue #vanillacupcakes #surpriseinside #baking #dessert #brunch #cupcakes #cupcakestagram #cupcakelovers #cupcakesofinstagram #cupcakelove #cupcaker http://www.aimadeitforyou.com/eggshell-cupcakes/
A post shared by Stefani Pollack (@cupcakeproject) on
5. Eggshell Cupcake: Speaking of masquerading desserts, check out this cupcake in an eggshell. Your guests will be super surprised to peel back these shells only to discover a tiny pastry waiting for them in lieu of an egg.
6. Cocktail in a Takeout Box: What would you do if you opened up a takeout box expecting fried rice, only to discover a delicious Thai cocktail waiting inside? We think these boxes are an uber fun way to serve drinks at any kind of party or get-together — just make sure your cartons are water tight.
7. Sushi Tacos: Instead of a corn or flour tortilla, these tacos are wrapped in seaweed. And they’re surprisingly DELICIOUS.
View this post on Instagram
Get your pizza today 🌱🍕❤️#pizzaChi #plantaincrust #cheezefilledcrust #healingfoods #plantpower #consciouseats #plantpower #veganfoodshare help us start a restaurant! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/246626105/pizza-chi-culinary-plant-based-gluten-free-pizzas
A post shared by Pizza Chi (@pizzachi) on
8. Plantain Crust Pizza: Instead of traditional pizza dough, why not lighten things up with baked plantains? They’re sweet, carby and completely gluten-free. This vegan, super-healthy creation is topped with onions, eggplant, peppers and tomato sauce.
9. Chocolate Chip Milk and Cookies Shot: If you’re not much of a red velvet fan, try this chocolate chip milk and cookies shot recipe. Bonus points if you cover the rim with rainbow sprinkles.
10. Sushi Burrito: If nori (that’s seaweed for you newbies) can be incorporated into tacos, why not burritos? This burrito-shaped sushi creation will essentially taste just like sushi, but it’ll come packaged in a convenient, burrito-like form.
Follow us on Pinterest for hundreds of other crazy and creative food ideas!