Google’s Newest Search Trick Will Turn You into a Bartender on the Go
The days of endlessly searching the Internet for cocktail recipes are about to change. Thanks to Google (well, and our site) you can now effortlessly figure out what’s in everything from a Mint Julep to a Brandy Alexander in just a tap. Then set forth and make, of course.
Simply by typing in everyone’s go-to tutorial phrase “How do I make [fill-in-the-blank with your fave cocktail],” the search engine will populate with a recipe, sometimes including recommended garnishes + drinkware, right below the search bar. Not only is this new feature super helpful when it’s your turn behind the bar cart, but it will also come in handy when ordering a drink. As Google spokeswoman Krisztina Radosavljevic-Szilagyi stated to NPR, the new cocktail search component helps anyone “feel like a pro when you’re ordering [drinks] out on the town.” Now there’s no excuse for not knowing what is actually in a Moscow Mule ;)
While the new Google search tool is super useful, you can always turn to us when/if it doesn’t provide you the right ingredients to the most popular cocktails — or when you want to get extra creative in the drinks department. Here’s a few to keep handy. Get those Pinterest boards ready!
1. Blueberry Pomegranate Sangria: By combining Moscato, pomegranate juice, Sprite, vodka and triple sec together, you’ll create a pitchers’ worth of gorgeous + delicious red sangria. Bonus perk of this recipe: You’ll learn how to make DIY wine labels too. That’s definitely something Google doesn’t offer.
2. Whiskey Ginger: Whiskey Sours are totally fine for the average happy hour, but why not switch it up every once in a while. Throw some bourbon, ginger ale and Ficks Lemon Cocktail Fortifier into a whiskey glass to kick up your early evening beverage.
3. White Russian (+ Lucky Charms): Kahlua and vodka is definitely a magical combo by itself, but why not add some marshmallow action to really kick up the spiked-caffeinated cocktail party. Say cheers, then taste the rainbow.
4. Hot Toddy: Stay warm and mix lemons with Wild Turkey and you’ll be feeling cozy and buzzed all at once.
5. Strawberry Mojito Punch: Why indulge in a mojito solo when you can get the entire gang involved? Double up on the typical ingredients for this recipe, then pass the pitcher.
Bonus: Watermelon Margarita Poptails: Cocktails in glasses can get a little stale, so throw a curveball for your at-home shindig and turn the tequila drinks into mini popsicles. Just don’t let the kids touch.
Will you be using Google’s newest feature or our search bar to make your cocktails? Let us know in the comments.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)