Google’s Top Trending Fashion Searches of 2018 Might Shock You
If you were to go back at your Google search history over the last year, chances are fashion queries would make up the bulk of it. Hey, we're right there with you. But how did your inquiries match up with the rest of the universe? Well, Google just released the top nine most searched fashion terms of 2018. You can probably guess a few that made the cut (ahem, royal style, anyone?), but keep scrolling to check out what other trends and looks people were most interested in this year.
1. 1980s Fashion: The bigger, the bolder, the better. This basically sums up one of 2018's biggest trends: the return to the '80s. We saw exaggerated silhouettes (hello, shoulder pads), pops of electric colors, and everything in-between infiltrate the street style set this year, so it's no surprise search was up to learn how to master this old-school look in a modern way. (Photo via Christian Vierig)
2. Grunge Style: The shoe style that dominated the season would undoubtedly be grunge-era staple Dr. Martens. This street style look pretty much encompasses the vibe with the clunky boots, plaid pants, and oversized separates. (Photo via Vanni Bassetti/Getty)
3. 1990s Fashion: Similar to the resurgence of the '80s, the fashion community felt nostalgic for the '90s as well this year. We totally paused at all of the Clueless-inspired plaid pieces on street style stars. We'd be lying if we said we didn't also Google Cher Horowitz-inspired ensembles. You too? Thought so. (Photo via Melodie Jeng/Getty)
4. 2000s Fashion: Nope, the '80s and '90s didn't just get all of the fun. 2018 brought it back to the 2000s as well with a peaked interest in post-millennium style. You now what we're talking about: tracksuits and logo bags spotted on popular shows from that era like The O.C. (Photo via Matthew Sperzel/Getty)
5. Meghan Markle: You could probably guess the Duchess of Sussex would rank high on this list. Because really, who didn't Google her fashion looks over the year? We can't even imagine how many searches hit just for a glimpse at her unforgettable Givenchy wedding gown. With the royal baby on the way, we bet the Markle Sparkle will continue to shine in 2019 as well. (Photo via Pool/Samir Hussein/Getty)
6. Men's Fashion: A focus on menswear-inspired style (we're still not over these Blake Lively looks), mixed with an interest in fashion and trends from guys makes sense that men's fashion would rank high in Google searches this year. Side note: How statement-making and sleek is this men's street style look? (Photo via Claudio Lavenia/Getty)
7. Harajuku Fashion: When it comes to vibrant, inspiring, youthful, and eclectic style, the Harajuku area in Tokyo is where it's at. It's really not surprising to see this top the Google search list with people looking for inspo on how to master their own Harajuku look. (Photo via Onnie A Koski/Getty)
8. Hipster Style: We've seen a shift towards more pared-down dressing over the least few seasons, with hipster-inspired style at the forefront of the movement. Here, outfits featuring cool leather jackets, canvas sneakers, denim, and more dominate. If you were on the hunt for a fashion-forward casual ensemble in 2018, chances are you Googled this. (Photo via Christian Vierig/Getty)
9. Kate Middleton: Yep, you guessed it. Just like Meghan Markle, Kate Middleton also made the most-searched list. Between her maternity style, her memorable look at Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's wedding, and the slew of events she attended, it was hard to keep up with the Duchess of Cambridge's flawless style moves. (Photo via Samir Hussein/Samir Hussein/Getty)
What do you think of this list? Let us know @BritandCo!