11 Harry Potter Home Essentials That Will Take You Back to Hogwarts
We’ve had our wands at the ready ever since JK Rowling announced that the eighth Harry Potter book will be coming out on July 31. After immediately re-reading the 4,224 magical pages of the original Harry Potter series in preparation for young Albus’s new adventure, we’ve come to the decision that it’s time to de-muggle our entire lives. From stocking the kitchen with Yule Ball treats to planning our vacation to the amazing Harry Potter-inspired hotel in London, we’ll be Hogwarts material before you can say leviosa. But before we get our acceptance letters in the mail, we’re decking out our homes in our 11 favorite wizardly finds.
1. Lumos Nox Potterhead Luna Throw Pillow ($21): Aren’t wrackspurts just the worst? Keep your living room (and brain) free from unwanted pests with this colorful one-of-a-kind Luna Lovegood-inspired throw pillow case from Lumos Nox.
2. Cécile Pellerin Hogwarts Throw ($49+): No matter which house the sorting hat places you in, anyone can cozy up by the dormitory fire with this plush throw oozing with Hogwarts pride.
4. Wizard Crafts Online Handcrafted Harry Potter ‘The Grim’ Mug ($20): Hand-crafted in the United Kingdom, this divination mug will get you in Sybill Trelawney’s good books in no time.
6. Risa Rodil Source of Magic Art Print ($18): The Potterhead writer in your life will love this gorgeous typography Dumbledore quote print by designer Risa Rodil.
7. Designs by AND Weasley Sweater Letter R Throw Pillow ($22): When Molly Weasley makes you a sweater, you wear the sweater. Period. Bring a little piece of the Burrow into your home with this Christmas present-turned-delightful throw pillow.
8. Human I Work Out Tote ($29): Let’s be honest — moving stairs sound like a pain in the butt. Stash your workout gear in this sassy tote for maximum fandom high-fives on your way to the gym.
10. Cut 4 You Harry Potter Rolling Pin ($35): Pies, cookies, tarts — whatever you make with this laser cut rolling pin will definitely have a touch of magic in it.
11. Lemon Drops Designs Downloadable Swish and Flick Print ($5): Whether levitation is your fave class or your most-hated boggart, this gorgeously designed print will remind you that practice makes perfect.
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!