Gift Guide Alert! 20% Off Last Minute Gifts for the Creatives in Your Life
One of the absolute best parts of the holidays is the gift-giving part. And unless your friend is a Harry Potter fanatic (in which case it’s super easy to shop for them) or the ultimate foodie (also easy to shop for), it may be kind of hard to figure out what to get for them, especially this late in the game (Christmas is in three days, folks). Have no fear, because the gift of learning is a perfect gift for anyone. Even if your friends don’t think they’re particularly creative or crafty, these classes are great because a) they’ll learn how to tap into their creativity and b) there’s no need to worry about shipping because they’re online.
Psst! Today only (12/22), ALL online classes are 20% off. Use code HOLIDAYGIFT at checkout!
1. Bounce Lettering Basics Online Class: Brittany Luiz will teach your bud how to use Tombow dual brush pens to draw both script and block-letter alphabets, use the right strokes and amount of pressure to create whimsical, bouncing words and phrases and use blending techniques to make sure your designs wow. Your friend will come away with their own hand-lettered cards — you might even get one as a thank you for giving such an awesome gift! ;)
2. Photo Styling Online Class: Meredith Staggers of Cake & Confetti will show your friend how to set up photos like the awesome ones they see on their Instagram feed. Your pal will learn how to use different filters and settings from different apps, and give their on-brand photography a boost. This class will help them segue into collaboration with other brands by taking awesome Insta shots, if that’s what they would like to do.
3. Intro to Ink Illustration Online Class: Lauren Hom of Hom Sweet Hom will teach your bud how to turn everyday objects into adorable ink illustrations using basic techniques and incorporate lettering into illustrations. They’ll also learn layout and planning best practices. No more boring finished pieces!
4. Photography for Bloggers Online Class: Lindsay Ostrom, photographer and culinary mind behind Pinch of Yum, is here to teach her students how to take photos that will complement their content. Students will learn how to use manual controls on a DSLR and the best ways to use lighting. Lindsay will also demonstrate styling — perfect for getting those detail shots for the how-tos you see on blogs. Tell your pal to prepare for a big-time reader boost.
It’s the age of creatives, and the holidays are the season for giving, so we want to help you in your gifting mission by giving you something too — how does a discount on all of our online classes sound? Good? Okay, here are the deets:
Use the promo code HOLIDAYGIFT when you check out for 20 percent off ALL online classes. Hurry though! The discount expires today (12/22) at 11:59pm PST.
Get gifting! And maybe snag a class for yourself too. After surviving 2016, you deserve it.
Tell your friends to share their projects with us on Instagram by tagging @BritandCo and using the hashtag #iamcreative!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.