It’s coming — you *know* it’s coming. If your mom didn’t manage to round you and your siblings (and potentially pets) up for a family portrait post-Thanksgiving dinner, then it’s only a matter of time. Just as you would scramble to find the least cringe-inducing look for your junior high yearbook photos, dressing for your fam’s annual holiday photo — which will be making an appearance on this year’s seasonal greeting cards — is no different. Should you opt for a crazy holiday sweater, reach for your go-to party dress and ankle-strap heels or wing it? Hard pass on that last one. Since it’s probably not the time to wear anything too risqué (we can already sense Grammy’s disapproval), and showing up in your tartan-print Christmas Day PJs would be downright humiliating, some outfit planning is in order. Ahead, we’ve compiled 12 statement pieces that BRING the seasonal cheer. Don’t worry — there’s no shortage of frills, bows, poms and glitz to go around.
1. French Connection Sasha Satin Fluted Mini Dress ($158): Turn down for what? When it comes to annual holiday photos, your family doesn’t mess around. Anything less than your Sunday best won’t be cutting it, especially for a group selfie by your town square’s lit-up Christmas tree. This dark magenta satin mini dress not only calls for a bold red lip and glitter-flecked heels, but an oversized cape may also be in order come dusk.
2. YSTR Hepburn Blouse ($188): Equal parts Parisian-chic and black tie-approved, YSTR’s anything-but-basic Hepburn blouse — complete with a drawstring waist and tuxedo-style buttons — would look DDG on the front of any holiday card. Keep it streamlined with black culottes and a beret, or class it up with a tweed mini skirt and swiss dot tights. Either way, you’re guaranteed to feel fancy.
3. ASOS Sweater Dress With Pom Poms ($68): Why the heck wouldn’t you show up rocking a playful pom-pom-adorned sweater dress for your family’s holiday card, if not for a hint of sarcasm, then to cue the WTFs from card recipients? “What in the world is fill-in the-blank’s daughter wearing?!” Pair with lace-up combat boots for a DGAF ‘tude.
4. Vineyard Vines Holiday Plaid Tartan Pants ($148): ‘Tis the season to sport head-to-toe tartan like it’s your job. But actually. Whether you’re a prep enthusiast or not, go ahead and style these plaid trousers with a crisp white button-down, low-heeled block heels and a polished bow-topped headband.
5. BaubleBar Fluoro Crispin Drops ($48): These gorgeous cobalt blue drop earrings require no introduction — they’re just that impeccable. Let’s be honest: You’re only going to be photographed from the waist up anyway (we’re looking at you, self-proclaimed lazy girls!). That said, proceed to toss these beauties on alongside a silk blouse and a sleek ponytail for a catalog-perfect shoot.
6. J.Crew Bow-Shoulder Top ($80): You’ve got the tartan print trousers and sparkly ballerinas — now, what’s missing? Ah, of course, a big ol’ bow! Not over-the-top in the least, this classic blouse is one you’ll prize for years to come. Opt for some statement-making crystal drop earrings and your best smile — perhaps pose under the mistletoe? — for a greeting card chock full of holiday cheer.
7. Little Mistress Skater Dress in Metallic Stripe ($96): Time’s a-ticking to uncover the quintessential twirl-worthy frock for portraits with the fam (proceeds to scroll through ASOS’s party wear section for anything remotely shimmery or holiday-ready). This snazzy metallic stripe skater dress will not only double for snapshots by the fireplace, but it’ll fit the bill for a number of holiday shindigs too. Just add party pumps and a timeless strand of pearls for maximum impact.
8. Kate Spade Baby It’s Cold Sweater ($228): Keep things on the DL with this festive cold weather-approved sweater that’ll be a shoo-in for your fam’s casual-cool dress code. Consider a sequined skirt, duck boots and jingle bell earrings to be stylish add-ins that bring the fa-la-la vibes.
9. Muse Striped Bow Tie Knit Top ($68): For a non-fussy but totally put-together look, reach for this charming cropped sweater with around-the-clock appeal. The navy and red bow-tie accents adorning the sleeves are obvs the best part. Styling it is a breeze — team it with mom jeans and gold hoops or layer it underneath a velvet pinafore dress for maximum girl-next-door appeal.
10. Reformation Diane Jumpsuit ($248): Santa red is so overrated — the perfect shade of emerald green, however, will make all the difference between a blasé holiday-inspired getup and one that’s ready to deck the halls. This HBIC-approved wide-leg jumpsuit will straight-up stun with chandelier earrings and pointed-toe ankle boots for a family portrait that slays.
11. Paper Crown Milan Jumpsuit ($308): While your mom’s glamming it up in a floor-length gown and your dad’s suited up in a tux, you’ll be ready to mingle in this soiree-ready strapless metallic jumpsuit. Complete the look with pearl studs, lace-up ghillies and a refined chignon for an enchanting getup that would do Blair Waldorf proud.
12. Harlyn Oro Sequined Joggers ($128): ‘Tis the season to shine bright like the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree. Besides a holiday bash, NYE and your fam’s holiday card, natch, sequined joggers are only deemed socially acceptable for so many occasions. For a rustic-chic photo shoot at a neighboring tree farm, DO pair these glam bottoms with a striped sweater, a cherry red cocoon coat and velvet pumps. Matching pom-pom hats with your siblings will be non-negotiable.
What will you be wearing for your fam’s holiday photos? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.