Why You Should Stop Tossing Out Apple Scraps Immediately
Instead of trashing your apple peels and cores from a free-form galette or any other apple dessert, don’t toss those scraps. The discards do wonders to your fresh iced tea and add a bit of sweetness, tang, and fruitiness to every sip.
When you prep an apple, place the core and skin in a sandwich bag, seal it, then store it in the freezer. Keep adding to it until the bag is full. If you’re using medium-sized apples, like galas, you might have to eat (or use) an upwards of six apples in total. Once the bag is brimming with peels and cores, you’ll only need a couple of ingredients to make what will become a go-to for those warm days.
Apple iced tea
- 2 cups apple skins and cores
- 6 tea bags
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1-inch ginger, peeled and sliced
- sugar, to taste
- mint sprigs, for serving (optional)
- Add the frozen skins and cores to a big pot of boiling water (around 6-8 cups), and heat on medium-high until simmering. Cook for about 6 minutes, or until apples have fully thawed. Next, add 4-6 of your favorite tea bags to the pot along with orange slices and fresh ginger. Steep for 5 minutes. Add sugar to taste.
- Remove from heat, and strain tea into a pitcher.
- Keep stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. To serve, pour in a glass filled with ice and garnish with a mint sprig, optional.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy iced tea? Let us know @BritandCo.
(Photo via Jennifer Pallian / Unsplash)
Whether you want to tap into some holiday nostalgia, or find a fun DIY to do with your kiddos, this simple snow globe craft offers both! Together with Camp by Walmart, we built a customizable crafting journey so you can execute this decor upgrade based on your style preferences and the supplies you have around the house. For this project, you'll need to decide if you want your snow globe to be inside of a mason jar or glass orb, what type of snow you want (hello, glitter!), and what holiday scene should go inside. With 16 possible outcomes, we can't wait to see what you come up with. Check it out by watching the winter wonderland snow globe tutorial now!