You read that right — this is a morning face mask. See, we know you probably save your face masks for the evening, or as something fun to do on the weekends with your besties. But we’re mixing things up and sharing this easy facial that you can whip up with your breakfast or even the night before. All you have to do is apply it in the morning and scrub, and you’ll walk away with glowing skin all day long.
Let’s talk about what’s in it for you. Blueberries are nature’s super-charged antioxidant boost packed in a tiny, little berry. Pretty convenient, right? Those antioxidants are great for reducing damage from UV rays and other environmental factors that could leave your skin damaged.
Oatmeal can restore your skin to a balanced pH. This is an awesome benefit if you suffer from any skin conditions, inflammation or even just dryness. It also naturally produces saponins, which means it will actually lather and cleanse your skin, 100 percent naturally. Think of it as a super mild alternative to your normal face wash.
Finally, honey is a humectant, aka it helps skin to retain moisture. If you’re using raw honey, it’ll have tiny micro-beads to exfoliate skin too. As if that wasn’t enough, honey is a natural anti-bacterial and produces a very mild form of hydrogen peroxide. These two aspects make it amazing for acne-prone skin. This is definitely one sweet that will keep your skin glowing and smooth. Even celebs are getting in on it — Scarlett Johansson uses raw honey on her gorgeous skin too.
– 1 tbsp oatmeal or oat flour
– 5-6 blueberries, fresh or frozen
– 1 tsp raw honey
1. Blend up 1 tablespoon of your oatmeal in the blender. If you’re using oat flour, skip this step. You can leave your oats whole and get the same benefits, but they’ll stick to your skin better if they’re blended.
2. Mash up 5 to 6 blueberries. Using frozen blueberries works great because they get juicy and squishy as they defrost. Pop a few in the fridge the night before to streamline your morning routine.
3. Mix honey in with the blueberries.
4. Add in your blended oatmeal or oat flour and mix well.
5. Apply to damp skin and let it set for 10-15 minutes, just long enough to drink your coffee, check your e-mail and give yourself a pat on the back for your excellent time-management skills.
6. To rinse, add water and gently scrub for an extra exfoliation boost. Wipe off any excess with a damp washcloth.
Do you DIY your own face masks? Tell us your favorite recipes in the comments!