22 Ways to Make a Headboard Out of Almost Anything
Life is expensive, and so is furniture. That’s why getting creative about less-important pieces is essential. Case in point? The almighty headboard. From garage sale goods to hardware store finds, the DIY possibilities really are endless. Check out the inspiration below for some budget-friendly DIYs that are big on savings and even bigger on style.
1. Pegboard: This bad boy works in the office, kitchen, craft room and now, the bedroom! The gold and pink geometric-inspired design here would look great above any bed. Feel free to mix it up with color schemes and patterns here. (via Brit + Co)
2. Plywood Print: Sometimes all you need is a bit of plywood and some creativity to really add depth and minimalist style to your space. (via The Merrythought)
3. String Lights: There’s no limit to what a few strands of cafe lights can do to space. Just look at this cool scenario; it’s the perfect setup for sweet dreams, and it barely cost a thing to put together. (via Getty)
4. Raw Wood: Finding a slab of your favorite wood — be it redwood, pine, or oak — and propping it up between your mattress and the wall just might be the best headboard hack yet! (via Getty)
5. Triangle Shelves: Looking to solve your headboard and shelving sitch in one foul swoop? Here it is. Just buy a few wood triangle shelves and you’re on your way better organization and style STAT. (via Getty)
6. Plywood: It’s cheap, it’s easy, and it’s so IN right now. Now all you need is some copper piping to seal the modern decor deal. (via Getty)
7. Oversized Hanging Art: We are *all* about this bedroom and especially the abstract paintings as headboard idea. Winning. (via Getty)
8. Lantern Lights: Add a festive, warm element to your bedroom with bulb lights. Exposed brick is also a major plus! (via Getty)
9. Cedar Shingles: The most amazing thing about this modern farmhouse headboard is that it cost only eight bucks to make. Just goes to show that a little imagination goes a long way! (via East Coast Creative)
10. Decals: Have an apartment where you’re not allowed to paint or leave holes in the wall? No worries! Just stick a decal on your wall and you’ve got yourself a conversation-worthy headboard without breaking any rules. Brit + Co Pick: RedPandaWallStickers ($46+)
11. Fabric Upholstered: Choose your top texture and favorite color and go to town with this simple, staple-gun and fabric-focused furniture DIY. (via Brit + Co)
MORE IDEAS TO CONSIDER:
12. Windows: To put it simply, there might no cooler (or easier) creative reuse project than using vintage windows in place of a headboard. Keep ’em plain for a more rustic-chic vibe, or go all-out colorful with some bright colors. (via Liz Marie Blog)
13. Corrugated Metal: This German hotel jigsawed together with a combination of copper and drapes behind its cozy bed. A quick trip to the hardware store will get you much less expensive metal sheeting and create an industrial-chic look on the cheap. (via Decorating Your Small Space)
14. Rug: If you have a unique rug that you can’t seem to tie in with your space, hang it above your bed for a textural stunner you won’t be able to stop touching. For those super ambitious DIYers, try our pom pom one. (via Sarah Sherman Samuel)
15. Wood-Carved Art: If you live near a home goods store or vintage shop that sells wall hangings, keep an eye out for ornate wood or metal carvings, many of which run well under $100. Place it strategically behind the bed for a headboard that will surpass anything you can find at a store. (via Style Me Pretty)
16. Books: This clever use of old books gives new meaning to the term “bedtime story” and frees up plenty of shelf space too. (via All That Is She)
17. Rope Design: For an abstract look, use different colors of rope to create a custom design. You could make this with wood panels from the hardware store or just attach string to the wall for a more modern art vibe. (via Bright.Bazaar)
18. Screens: Oh screen headboards, how we love you so. With no hardware required, this headboard is easily moveable or changeable with each season. You could use paint, fabric, decoupage or whatever other embellishment technique you can think of to make it look amazing. (via Primitive + Proper)
19. Wood + Chalkboard Paint: Nobody says you can’t make your own headboard with wood and paint. If you want the added fun of leaving messages for your S.O. (or even yourself), consider sealing it and coating it with chalkboard paint. Tada! Instant message board. (via Mr. Kate)
20. Paint: When in doubt, fake ’em out. Especially perfect for those of us who like to change our color scheme around from time to time, a big rectangle of paint on the wall is a versatile, fun and super cheap way to fake it AND make it.
21. Plywood + Macrame: Plywood, copper and macrame FTW. You could DIY your own macrame or buy one and just get the other supplies from your local hardware store. Easy peasy, headboard chic-y. (via Vintage Revivals)
22. Fireplace Mantel: Architectural salvage can make for some phenomenal reuse projects. Case in point: This fireplace-mantel-turned-headboard. Pretty cool indeed.
Which of these DIY projects is your favorite? Tweet us and tell us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.