How to Werk It at Work: 10 Affordable Necessities for Every #GirlBoss
Studies show that you should dress for the job you want, not the one you have. The same goes for accessorizing! And we’re not just talking about cute work bags and shoes — it’s so, so important to stock your work bag with products that will help you, quite literally, get the job done. Being smart about what you tote to work is just one more way to advance your career. With the help of Office Depot, we’re bringing you 10 tips and essentials to werk it at work without breaking the bank.
1. Try the TUL Note-Taking System: AKA, the notebook that does it all. This system is SUPER customizable, and has tons of interchangeable options, like tab dividers, task pads, different types of paper and page tabs. Plus, TUL’s hole punch means that *anything* that can be punched can snap into the disc-bound notebook — magazine clippings, sketches, the works. It’s a dream come true for those who love having all their notes in one place. This baby also comes with leather or poly covers in tons of different colors, so you don’t have to compromise good looks for sensibility.
2. Keep a Blazer at the Office: Have a last-minute VIP meeting? Adding a blazer to your outfit will instantly gussy up the look and make you appear more professional.
3. DIY a Leather Business Card Holder: Why not have the business card holder be as memorable as the business card itself? We made this simple leather and gold foil pouch out of leather scraps in under an hour.
4. Carry Beauty Essentials in Your Bag: This one goes hand in hand with our blazer tip. We’re partial to keeping makeup necessities in our purse for a midday touch-up — especially concealer, lotion, face mist and mascara.
5. DIY Mousepad: Remember that motivating feeling of using brand new school supplies? The same goes for grown-up workspaces — new stuff can reignite excitement about working. Try this fabric mousepad tutorial for a super wallet-friendly update to your desk.
6. Make This Tassel Keychain Charger: Not to toot our own horns, but this tutorial is straight-up genius. B+C DIY editor Alonna figured out how to conceal a phone charger within a leather tassel AND make it into a keychain. Cute, sensible and totally DIYable — win, win, win.
7. Master These 10 Minute Hair Hacks: Show of hands — who *actually* has time to do their hair every morning? That’s what we thought. Keep these hair hacks in your arsenal for a quick beauty boost.
8. Get Smart With Your Jewelry: We’re all for wearable digital tech, but this jewelry trend is a different sort of smartwear — we’re talking about the hair-tie bracelet. It’s a bracelet that doubles as a hair-tie holder, meaning you won’t get icky indents on your wrist. TBH, we’re kind of obsessed with these around HQ.
9. Customize a Calendar With Calligraphy: In our books, everything looks a bit classier with some calligraphy. Print this customizable calendar, write in the months and display on your desk for an easy update to your office space.
10. Customize a Mobile Phone Charger: We know you’re always on the go, and you shouldn’t have to worry about having to slow down just to plug in. Make your mobile phone charger adorable with this quick and easy tutorial, and be on your busy-bee way!
Materials + Tools:
— mobile phone charger
— nail polish
— washi tape
— paint pen
We opted for nail polish and tape, but you could also use contact paper or stickers to customize it.
Add tape in even strips. Use a paint pen to decorate the thinner sides, then add designs with nail polish. Let it dry.
Ta-da! A mobile phone charger updated in just minutes.
What are your go-to work necessities? Share with us on Twitter @BritandCo!
This post is a collaboration with TUL™ Custom Note-Taking System, exclusively for Office Depot and Officemax.
Author: Maddie Bachelder
DIY + Styling: Irene Lee
Photography: Chris Andre