12 Mashed Potatoes Recipe Alternatives for Thanksgiving and Beyond
If you’re looking for healthier (but equally delicious) options this Thanksgiving, it’s time to change up your old-school mashed potatoes recipe. Whether you’re prepping for Friendsgiving or you’re getting ready to help out your family at home, these recipes lighten up the classics so you can feel a little less guilty about that plate of seconds (or thirds!). No matter what you’re looking for — gluten-free, vegan, etc. — you’ve come to the right place. Whip one of these up for an equally Instagram-worthy and delicious (even without a filter) Thanksgiving sides.
1. Sweet Potato Hash Brown Pie: When everyone’s expecting sweet, sometimes it’s just more fun to try savory. Sausage is a main ingredient, but so is kale, so there’s no need to feel guilty. (via Hold the Grain)
4. Three Healthy Alternatives to Mashed Potatoes: It’s tough to choose between celery root-sage, creamy cauliflower and parsnip-carrot mash, but each of these are easy and distinct enough that you can always just go ahead serve ’em all. (via Brit + Co)
7. Mashed Parsnips: Here’s another root vegetable that, when mashed, is just as delicious but far less starchy. Feel free to mash it solo or add another veg (like fennel, celery or carrots) for a more interesting dish. (via The Delicious Balance)
8. Roasted Garlic, Cheddar and Olive Oil White Bean Mash: For all you vegetarians looking for a little protein and a lot of flavor, try this mash that could be eaten on toast, as a dip or even plain — it’s that tasty. (via Ciao Veggie)
11. Mashed Celery Root With Blue Cheese: The celery root makes this a healthy alternative, but the blue cheese makes it downright decadent. Pair it with turkey and all the fixins for the ultimate Thanksgiving feast. (via The Wimpy Vegetarian)
What’s your favorite healthy Thanksgiving side with a twist? Let us know in the comments below!