26 Easy Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes That Will Steal the Spotlight
There’s no doubt that the turkey has an unfair advantage in the Thanksgiving popularity game. You bust out the big bird once a year, and the delicious side dishes tend to take a back seat… until now! There’s no match for these 25 whimsical Thanksgiving side dish recipes that are sure to steal the dinnertime spotlight.
1. Pumpkin Lasagna: Hollow out a pumpkin and fill it with cheesy/pumpkin-y goodness. The best part — the gourd doubles as an edible baking dish! (via Brit + Co)
2. Butternut Potato Puffs: We couldn’t pass up this side based on it’s adorable name alone! Just squeeze seasoned potato-butternut squash puree through a large, star-topped piping bag and bake ’til golden brown all over. (via Bitter Sweet)
3. Spinach Artichoke Muffins: Two of our favorite comfort foods combine to create a side dish perfect for a down-home Thanksgiving. Creamy spinach artichoke dip makes these corn muffins rich and moist. (via Brit + Co.)
4. Two-Bite Mac and Cheese Cups: Keep the kids from fighting over who gets more spoonfuls of mac and cheese by transforming the casserole into bite-sized cups! You can thank your muffin pan for this (and other) savory munchies. (via Fifteen Spatulas)
5. Pumpkin Dinner Rolls: This whimsical side dish is the number one spotlight stealer on our list, and you’ll be happy to know it’s so easy to make! Just slice your biscuit dough in eight segments, bake, and brush with melted butter for shine. Don’t forget to finish with sliced pecan “stems.” So cute! (via Beyond Kimchee)
6. Triple Threat Potatoes: Why choose between baked, mashed, or fried potatoes when you can have all three in one? (via Brit + Co)
7. Brussels Sprout Kebabs: There’s nothing more fun than eating stuff off of a stick, so sneak attack the kiddos with these Brussels sprout kebabs. These stacked sprouts are roasted and served with an intriguing coconut-mint dipping sauce. (via Pure Vege)
8. Roasted Stuffed Onions: Not only do we recommend making these stuffing-stuffed onions, but we also dare you to say it three times fast without slipping up. ;) (via Smitten Kitchen)
9. Sangria Cranberry Sauce: You bet we’re gonna give this sangria-spiked cranberry sauce a try at our Brit + Co Thanksgiving potluck. (via SheKnows)
10. Potato Rings: We imagine the whole “don’t play with your food” rule was set before these awesome potato rings were made. Though, maybe reserve the potato ring toss from across the dining table for Friendsgiving. (via Spoon Fork Bacon)
11. Sweet Potato and Marshmallow Biscuits: We’re nuts about this creative concoction. A layer of bubbling marshmallow oozes through the center of these sweet potato muffins, which is sure to satisfy any mid-meal sweet tooth. (via Smitten Kitchen)
12. Applesauce Mac & Cheese: Why leave applesauce all by its lonesome when you can have it buddy up with mac and cheese? While it may sound strange, apples and cheese totally go together, so be sure to give it a try! Mix in some chicken-apple sausage to amp up the apple flavor even more. (via Adventures in Cooking)
13. Broad Bean and Asparagus Tempura: Give your favorite winter greens a crispy coating with this simple tempura batter. Try a light combo of asparagus and broad beans, or even fry up more substantial veggies like broccoli and sweet potato slices. (via Nigel Slater)
14. Sweet Potato Tots: We love this sweet twist on classic tater tots. We’ll also go ahead and say we wouldn’t be opposed to dipping them in gravy during Thanksgiving meal time. (via Your Vegan Mom)
15. Acorn Squash Fondue: Fondue is such a fun way to enjoy a meal with family and friends, especially when it’s housed in a squash. (via Food52)
16. Roasted Root Vegetable Pizza: Leave it to Martha to find an amazing way to make roasted root veggies irresistibly appealing. If you serve pizza at Thanksgiving dinner, you win. (via Martha Stewart)
17. Whole Roasted Shallots: Shallots become sweet and caramelized after roasting in the oven. The addition of butter and tangy balsamic make this a worthy side dish. (via Salt & Lavender)
18. Mashed Sweet Potato and Kale Puffs: Combine multiple sides into one dish with this recipe. It’s finger-food friendly, so you can dig in while using your fork to scoop up plenty of turkey. (via Basically Cooking)
19. Parmesan Risotto Stuffed Acorn Squash: Stuff acorn squash with Parmesan risotto to make this elegant side dish. It works well as a vegetarian entree too. (via Feel Good Foodie)
20. Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad: Sometimes a salad is just what you need to counteract the heavy holiday food on the table. This one is perfect for colder weather, made with a blend of shaved broccoli and Brussels sprouts. (via Salt n Pepper Here)
21. Sauerkraut Mashed Potato Casserole: Liven up a tray of mashed potato casserole with simple additions. Tangy sauerkraut and sweet apples bring dynamic flavor to each bite. (via Plated Cravings)
22. Hasselback Sweet Potatoes With Basil Pesto: Hasselback sweet potatoes are ideal for soaking up big flavors. These are topped with fragrant basil pesto, along with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese that melts and gets slightly crispy in the oven. (via Gourmet Casa Kitchen)
23. Garlic Parmesan Carrot Fries: Skip the glazed carrots and opt for these crunchy carrot “fries” instead. A coating of cheese, garlic, and herbs helps them crisp up in the oven. (via Delightful Mom Food)
24. Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower: Cauliflower doesn’t get enough love in the kitchen. When pureed and mixed with soft roasted garlic and plenty of olive oil, it’s like the sophisticated cousin of mashed potatoes. (via Evolving Table)
25. Sweet Potato and Chickpea Fall Salad: Salads aren’t just for summer. This hearty version, made with sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and maple tahini dressing, deserves a place on the holiday table. (via Running to the Kitchen)
26. Parmesan Smashed Potatoes: For really crispy mashed potatoes, cook them twice. First until they’re tender; then, smash them flat, sprinkle with cheese, and finish cooking. (via Domestic Gothess)
For more Thanksgiving side dishes and delicious holiday recipes, follow us on Pinterest.
Additional reporting by Justina Huddleston.
- 18 Delicious Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes for Your Sweet Spread ›
- 12 Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes That Will Make Your Turkey ... ›
- 51 Friendsgiving and Thanksgiving Side Dishes for Every Feast ... ›
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)