Spice Up Your Next Grill-Out With These 11 Middle Eastern-Inspired Recipes
Barbecue recipes are delicious, and they’re a staple of many summer menus. But sometimes you just want to, shall we say, *spice* things up a bit. Now that fusion food (we’re looking at you, crotillas) is all the rage, adding flavors from exotic cuisines to otherwise standard American fare is not only okay, it’s ENCOURAGED. And one of the biggest food trends this summer is to add intensely flavorful Middle Eastern spices to barbecued items. Here are 11 of our favorite recipe ideas.
1. Cheezy Parsnip Fries With Smokey Tahini Sauce: Tahini is a condiment made from toasted sesame seeds, and it’s a Middle Eastern flavor that’s getting more and more popular here in the US (it’s a common ingredient in hummus). That makes it the *perfect* candidate for pairing with fries of any kind to jazz up your barbecue. (via A Dash of Soul)
2. Lebanese Shish Taouk: This Lebanese classic resembles an American grilling favorite: chicken skewers. But baharat spice, garlic, cayenne, and yogurt sauce for dipping make this high-protein dish delightfully adventurous. (via The Spice Kit Recipes)
3. Sticky Harissa Honey Glazed Chicken: Perhaps even more interesting than tahini is harissa, a chili paste hailing from Northern Africa. This savory chicken recipe is the perfect way to try it out. (via The Endless Meal)
4. Grilled Avocado Halves With Harissa Hummus and Tahini Yogurt: Talk about a gourmet way to serve fruit. This avo is *loaded* with Middle Eastern flavors like creamy yogurt sauce and lemony hummus. (via Olive Magazine)
6. Baharat Roast Chicken Recipe: You can certainly roast this chicken, but if you’re feeling wild, try marinating it in its spices and then firing up the grill. Bonus points for serving it with a light summer couscous. (via Leite’s Culinaria)
7. Roasted Beet Salad With Tahini and Lemon Sauce: Taste the rainbow with thus uber-yummy (and totally vegan!) beet salad. Trust us: You’re going to want to go for fresh (not canned) beets here… there is simply no comparison when it comes to taste. (via Heather Cristo)
8. Easy Tahini Curried Carrot Salad: Forget coleslaw. This fantastically flavorful carrot salad is WAY more interesting. Made with carrots, curry powder, tahini, maple syrup, and garlic, it’s a spicy-sweet treat. (via Healthy Happy Life)
9. Tahini Roasted Cauliflower: This healthy vegetable side is warming and spicy, perfect for pleasing any crowd. The roasted cauliflower is topped with a blend of spices including garlic and baharat, and then drizzled with a lemony herb oil. (via Maikin Mokomin)
10. Lemony Harissa Potato Salad: Here’s another, more-exotic stand-in for grill favorites. Sub this lemony and spicy potato salad in for the mayo-coated classic one, and you’ll get points not only for tastiness but also for originality. (via The Iron You)
11. Grilled Harissa Shrimp Skewers With Basil Oil and Cilantro: Not in the mood for red meat? These protein-packed shrimp skewers are the perfect alternative to burgers or steak, and as a bonus, they’re BURSTING with flavors like basil, harissa, and cilantro. (via A Beautiful Plate)
Follow us on Pinterest for more fresh meal ideas!