Morning Buzz! Katy Perry Paid a Tearful Tribute to Manchester Bombing Victims at Her London Show + More
Katy Perry leading a UK crowd in an emotional moment of silence is in this morning’s top news stories. Check that and more out below in Friday’s Morning Buzz.
1. The world now knows the names of the 22 Manchester bombing victims, and at Katy Perry’s tiny club show in London last night, she took a moment to address the tragedy and remember the people whose lives were lost. “This week has been really hard. It sucked. It was hard for you guys and it was hard for me because we all love music,” she said, holding back tears. “We all listen to the same music, and you think about it, and think that’s my friend, that’s my sister, that’s my brother, that’s my cousin, that’s the person that loves music.” Before requesting everyone honor a moment of silence, Perry added, “Whatever you can do to help, you should. And if you can’t do anything that’s fine, but what you should do is not let them win. I’m going to sing this next song for them. They can never take that part from us ever.” Amen.
2. Is Bella Thorne and Scott Disick’s whirlwind romance already over? As confusingly and swiftly as it came, the Cannes romance between Thorne and Disick appears to be over. Thorne tweeted that the Cannes life just isn’t for her very shortly after Disick was spotted with his ex, Chloe Bartoli. We can barely keep up!
3. This behind-the-scenes Beauty and the Beast pic of how they created the CGI Beast is MIND-BLOWING. In a now-removed, behind-the-scenes YouTube video, actor Dan Stevens, who played Beast, is seen with Emma Watson in his motion-capture suit, which is required to add in the computer-generated Beast. Knowing that Watson had to act alongside Stevens looking like this makes her role even MORE impressive, TBH — we’d be cracking up. Some people on Twitter are so obsessed that they’ve requested a whole version of the movie with Stevens in the suit. LOL. Would watch.
4. OMG, Blake Lively is getting her own Big Little Lies. Sort of. Lively is set to star in and executive produce the movie The Husband’s Secret, based on the book by Liane Moriarty (who also wrote Big Little Lies). The film doesn’t have a release date or much casting info at the moment, but you KNOW we’ll let you know when it does. (h/t Harper’s Bazaar; photo via Theo Wargo/Getty)
5. An Austin, Texas theater is holding women-only screenings of the new Wonder Woman and people have FEELINGS about it. The Alamo Drafthouse announced the screening on Wednesday, and even quickly added a second showing due to it quickly selling out. Some men complained, and took to the comments to ask if there would also be a “male-only” screening, among other troll-y comments, but the Alamo so skillfully handled them that some people commented the social media person should get a raise. Alamo Drafthouse Creative Manager Morgan Hendrix said in a statement, “That providing an experience where women truly reign supreme has incurred the wrath of trolls only serves to deepen our belief that we’re doing something right. As a result, we will be expanding this program across the country and inviting women everywhere to join us as we celebrate this iconic superheroine in our theaters.” Love. It. (h/t Buzzfeed)
6. Quote of the day: “Life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you react to it.” A classic from Charles R. Swindoll that’s always good to keep in mind.
Do you have any Memorial Day long weekend plans? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)