Morning Buzz! People Are NOT Happy About Kendall Jenner’s Pepsi Protest Ad + More
Some controversy for Kendall Jenner and shocking details of Mel B’s divorce lead this morning’s top news stories. Check those and more out below.
who else is reminded of Dr Martin Luther King's famously resonant "I have a Pepsi" speech pic.twitter.com/xX5h3it3d1
— Scott Ludlam (@SenatorLudlam) April 4, 2017
1. By now you’ve probably seen Kendall Jenner’s new Pepsi ad, one where she ditches a photoshoot mid-way to join a protest. What is likely intended to highlight current youth engagement, many have pointed out, ends up coming off exploitative of the acts of resistance happening in the wake of political and police forces — the scene where Jenner hands a police officer a Pepsi especially being seen as a nod to the iconic photo of Black Lives Matter protester Ieshia Evans’ arrest in Baton Rouge.
2. The details of Mel B’s divorce have emerged, and they’re horrifying. Mel B filed for divorce from her husband of 10 years last month, and has now filed for a restraining order. In the paperwork, obtained by People, Mel B says she fears for her life after years of allegedly being abused emotionally, physically, and sexually, with her ex forcing her into sexual situations with him and other people. Mel says she would be forced to post photos of her injuries to social media and make up an excuse, like that she fell while running in heels, to cover it up. Her ex also allegedly kept her passport from her to prevent her from seeing her dying father recently, and she had to obtain emergency documents to be able to see him before he passed away. Her ex has denied the allegations and calls them shocking. (Photo via Jemal Countess/Getty)
3. We all got to celebrate Jay and Bey’s anniversary with this rare wedding day photo. In case the emotional family movie Bey released for Jay yesterday wasn’t enough, relish in this rare wedding day photo shared by Beyonce’s mom, Tina. “Thats my arm fixing the dress lol,” Tina wrote about the dress she designed, also sharing another detail about the day. “Thats my minister Rudy Rasmus who married Solange, Beyonce and me.” More please, Tina!
4. Netflix’s first teaser for Marvel’s The Defenders is here and it’s cryptic AF. The super short clip appears to show black-and-white security camera footage from an elevator, but upon closer look, it’s Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter), Daredevil (Charlie Cox), Luke Cage (Mike Colter), and Iron Fist (Finn Jones). We see them for only a few seconds before Jones jumps up and smashes the camera. Eeee! There are lots of little easter eggs in it too — like the release date as a timestamp (August 18, 2017), and some other characters in the upper left hand corner that when typed into a browser as URL take you to a working website.
5. Dictionary.com has added “sext,” “man bun,” and more new words to its database. Look, dictionaries have to keep up with the times. While making sure important things like Black Lives Matter are represented, Dictionary.com also added dabbing, hangry, slay, and dad bod, among more, to its listings. Hello, fellow kids! (h/t Mashable, photo via Stu Forster/Getty)
6. Quote of the day: “If you’re offered a seat on a rocket ship, don’t ask what seat! Just get on.” Sheryl Sandberg’s always got wise words to keep in mind, and with today being Go for Broke day, this one feels timely.
Are you someone who likes to risk it all, or do you play it safe? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Nicholas Hunt/Getty)
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!