Morning Buzz! Vogue Under Fire for Featuring Karlie Kloss as a Geisha + More
From Vogue’s misstep to Maddie Spears’ recovery, check out six of today’s top news items below.
1. In its most recent issue, Vogue‘s cover features a plus-sized model (Ashley Graham), as well as models of various color, including its first-ever Asian model on the cover, and claims to “celebrate modern American women.” A photo shoot inside, however, features Karlie Kloss as a Geisha, which seems to undermine the issue’s mission. NY Mag points out that the shoot is “likely an homage to Richard Avedon’s shoot of German model Veruschka von Lehndorff that appeared in Vogue in 1966.” Vogue has not yet commented on the controversy.
2. Jamie Lynn Spears’ daughter returned to school after her ATV accident for a special Valentine’s Day. After a terrifying ATV accident that left her in the hospital, Maddie Spears, the eight-year-old neice of Britney Spears, is not only out of the hospital, but was given the doc’s okay to deliver candy to her classmates for Valentine’s Day. “Maddie isn’t quite ready to return to school, but her doctors did clear her to bring in her Valentine’s Day treats to her class today,” Jamie Lynn captioned the adorable pic. “We are so thankful to celebrate Valentine’s Day with the ones we love, and we don’t take a second of it for granted.” SO happy to see her on the mend.
3. North and Saint West gave Chrissy Teigen’s daughter Luna the best V-Day present and we’re totally jealous. While the Obamas were publicly being the cutest Valentine’s Day couple ever, we were getting burgers at a drive through and eating them hurriedly in the car. But more importantly, Chrissy Teigen Snapchatted the unwrapping of the teeniest, cutest pair of Yeezys, sent to Luna from North and Saint West with a card that read, “Luna — Happy Valentine’s Day beautiful baby girl!” Why don’t we have more famous babies as friends this is not fair. (Photo via Chrissy Teigen/Snapchat)
4. More of President Trump’s associates reportedly had “repeated” contact with Russia. After President Trump’s National Security Advisor Mike Flynn recently resigned for communicating with Russia before the inauguration, the New York Times reports that members of President Trump’s 2016 campaign as well as other associates had “repeated contacts with senior Russian intelligence officials” in the year before the election. President Trump has responded, as he does, on Twitter, claiming the “real” story is that these leaks are happening at all and brushes it off as “non-sense.” (Photo via Drew Angerer/Getty)
5. Ricki Lake shares an emotional tribute to her late ex-husband after he succumbs to mental illness. Ricki Lake’s ex-husband Christian Evans has passed away, as Ricki reveals that he battled and “succumbed to his life long struggle with” bipolar disorder. Ricki and Christian were married in 2012, and after filing for divorce then putting it on hold, were officially divorced in 2015. “The world didn’t understand this man, but I did,” Ricki wrote in her heartbreaking post. “For anyone who has ever lost a family member or friend to mental illness, my heart goes out to you. I am a greater person for having known him and spent the past 6 and a half years of my life with him. He was a man of love and what mends my broken heart today is knowing that he is finally at peace and his spirit is free. Rest in peace, my love.”
6. Quote of the day: “I think people thought I was trying to do a thing with it [during] my first pregnancy. So I had, like, 5-inch roots and then blonde hair. Everyone thought it was a choice. It was not a choice.” Blake Lively drops a bombshell about her unintentional contribution to the “bronde” hair craze, admitting to Cosmo that she just didn’t feel like dyeing it. We are SCANDALIZED!
Do you ever get lazy with your hair maintenance? Let us know over @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Scott Barbour/Getty)