Press Play On This: 9 Ways To Make Moving Images
If 2012 was the year of the gif, 2013 was the year of video. It’s crazy to think Vine was ever not part of our lives and that stop motion used to be reserved for the likes of Wes Anderson. Before the year wraps up, we’re looking back at a few of our fave ways to make straight-up vids, stop motion, and gifs.
1. Spark Camera: Like the rest of the universe, we have a serious crush on IDEO. In October, their in-house Toy Lab release their first app designed specifically for adults. What sets it apart is one big thing: You can edit together several bits of video rather than having to work with one long scene. Look at Spark Camera’s reviews, it’s clear: They’ve made the adults happy.
2. iTimeLapse: Imagine you’re in Hong Kong, staying in a high-rise hotel with jaw-dropping views overlooking the bay. Imagine you have a brilliant idea to set up your phone and get a time lapse of the sunset, crazy HK light show, followed hours later by a blazing sunrise. Imagine how glad you’ll be that you spent those $2 before you left the good US of A.
4. Stop Motion Studio: Not only is it made by a company called CatEater (amazing), but for a limited time, it’s free. Get it while it lasts, folks.
5. Frameographer: This app really changed the iPhone stop-motion game. In fact, it was somewhat of a pioneer. We’ve talked about them in the past, and we’re still circling the wagons around them, and so should you. Get along little dogies.
6. Giffer: As the name would suggest, it’s all about the gifs. $2.99 gets you over 25 filters, but pop by their website and you’ll see why we really included it… Who knew batman had such sexy yams?
7. Fast Camera: Some say Fast Camera lets you achieve the best photo possible by snapping loads of pictures in seconds, then helping you pick the best. We say, pish posh. It’s all about making stop motion. Which is why we made our own little number.
8. Magisto: You guys. Magisto literally does all the work for you. OK, you still have to push the record button, but then the app goes to work: It’s an automatic video editor that actually works. You can start using it for free, but we recommend paying the $5 monthly subscription so you can create videos that last longer than a minute.
9. Slow Motion Photo Booth: This is totally fun and totally relevant to your life, particularly New Year’s Eve, which is when it will come in handy. If you didn’t see Super Frog Saves Tokyo’s photo booth revolution, don’t worry. We’ve recapped all the amazingness, made our own slow-mo booth, and even left some tips on how you can make your own. Happy partying.
What motion have you been reeling in this year? Press play on your comments below!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.