15 Nutmeg-Spiked Recipes to Try
It’s amazing how some foods require just a quick pass over a grater to release a whole new world of flavor. Whether it’s the zest of your favorite citrus, a nicely aged cheese or an otherwise ordinary-looking seed of a tree… wait. What? Yep, we’re talking all about nutmeg, and we’re bringing you 15 sweet and savory ways to use the (mostly)-anything-but-seedy spice.
5. Nutmeg Gnocchi With Mushrooms: A couple pinches of nutmeg offer a subtle enhancement to homemade gnocchi. The flavors work oh-so-well with a simple sauté of wild mushrooms and onions. (via The Spice Train)
6. The Famous Sint Maarten Guavaberry Colada: A tropical-inspired cocktail is probably not the first thing that comes to mind when you think of nutmeg, but it totally makes sense: one of the places it’s cultivated is the Caribbean. (via Spache the Spatula)
8. Cheesy Chicken, Butternut and Sage Lasagna Bake: Show off nutmeg’s savory side with a slice of this indulgent, multi-layered creation. It’s certainly not your nonna’s lasagna. (via Sweet Peas and Saffron)
9. Armenian Nutmeg Cake: Light and airy with a delicate spice flavor and just enough sweetness, you can choose your own adventure with presentation… make one full-size cake or mini ones in a muffin tin. What sets this cake apart even further is that it has a base almost like a pie crust. (via Including Cake)
12. Nutmeg Maple Butter Cookies: Enjoy these buttery, spiced alternatives to ordinary sugar cookies this holiday season. They may appear plain, but just one nibble will prove otherwise. (via Smitten Kitchen)
14. Kale, Pine Nut and Ricotta Pizza: A hefty dose of freshly ground nutmeg adds a lovely, warm dimension to this pie topped with a refined combo of ricotta, mozzarella, kale and a handful of pine nuts. (via Sweet Peas and Saffron)
15. Pear-Vanilla Bourbon Warmer: The pear-vanilla syrup used in this bourbon-based cocktail works just as well in a mocktail. In other words, this recipe a total crowd-pleaser, perfect for your next cool weather get-together. (via The Roaming Kitchen)
What sort of foods do you enjoy adding a sprinkle or spoonful of ground nutmeg to? Do you lean in a savory or sweet direction? Chat with us in the comments below!