8 Cold Weather-Appropriate Outfits to Kill It on a Night Out
With the temps going steady on a steep downward trend, you’ve probably started rethinking your go-to on-the-town outfit. Because bare legs and light layers just don’t mix with blustering wind, icy sidewalks and snow. Loading on the layers for a night out with the girls might seem like the opposite of chic, but being able to pull together a look that’s both practical and sartorially on point will earn you some serious style cred. Creative layering will do you right every time, but just in case you need a little outfit inspo, here are eight ways to get the whole after-dark-dressing-when-it’s-freezing-outside thing right.
1. Casual Throwback Cool: Pay tribute to everyone’s current favorite style decade — the ’70s — while staying snug with an outfit rife with of-the-moment throwback essentials. Flared jeans keep those gams under wraps, while a sultry velvet plunge top strikes the perfect balance of sexy and seasonally appropriate. Make suede shoes that keep those toes covered up your go-to and add warmth in unexpected ways with textured, faux fur add-ons.
2. Fierce Freeze-Proof Frock: When it comes to covering up, tights are an obvious choice. But why settle for average when there are so many other trend-right options out there to choose from? Go there by layering your favorite frock over a pair of sophisticated leather-look leggings, then jazz things up with quicksilver kicks — oxfords for an unexpected girl-meets-boy vibe — and a shimmery modern collar necklace.
3. Go Gold: Making a statement is kind of your thing, so no night out is complete without at least one standout piece. That’s where this gold micro-mesh top comes in. It’s perfect for layering over or under a cheeky bustier top and is sure to turn a few heads when you walk into the room. Graphic flares are equally as attention-grabbing, and together they create a style power duo that is straight up unstoppable. For a finishing touch, opt for platform kicks that make navigating the streets an effortless exercise and an iridescent clutch that’ll help you shine bright.
4. Jump on It: Easy, effortless and practical to boot — a jumpsuit is about to become your go-to night-out getup. Long sleeves mean you won’t be shivering as you sip on that cosmo, but it’s lightweight enough to keep you cool if you decide to break it down on the dance floor. A statement faux fur topper will leave no question that you’ve got this whole cold weather style thing down. Since you’re more than covered on top, go a little lax on the shoe front and sport some sassy lace-up heels. Just make sure to have a cab number on speed dial — just in case.
5. A Leg Up on Style: You shouldn’t have to forgo your favorite dress just because it isn’t exactly a balmy 75 degrees. An artfully relaxed number can easily be layered over t-shirts or even sweaters for a little extra warmth and no one will be the wiser — a major sartorial win on your part. Pair it with over-the-knee boots, (this year’s winter must-have), and sheer textured tights for a look that says “Girrrrllll, I’ve got this,” without leaving you in the cold.
6. All Velvet Everything: You may have noticed that velvet is having a major moment, which means BIG things for your cold weather style portfolio. The super soft fabric has an innate dressed-up feel — perfect for those times when you’re looking for effortless polish stat. Hot-right-now silhouettes like wide legs are a must, while a modern take on a classic long-sleeve tee is key for delivering both warmth and It factor. To really win at winter after-hours dressing, complete the ensemble with architectural heels and bright, mixed media baubles.
7. Go, Get Your Fringe On: Skip the mini skirt this season and opt for for ankle-grazing pieces that pack plenty of personality. Playful fringe makes a simple silhouette feel fresh and party-ready — ideal for everything from holiday parties to dinner dates and last-minute nights out with friends. To keep the whole warm and cozy thing on lock, top it off with an exotic sweater, then look to ankle boots (paired with glittery socks, of course) and an ultra sleek collar necklace to inject a modern edge.
8. Versatility Is King: Pinafores and tunic dresses are the ultimate layering pieces come winter. Not only do they do wonders for your work week wardrobe, but they can hang with the best of ’em off the clock too. Whether you have dinner and drinks or a sold-out show on your agenda, take this flexible piece along for the ride. A glittery turtleneck amps up the warmth factor in a major way, while look-at-me ankle boots will keep those toes frost free. Toss on a pair of fleece-lined tights or leather-look leggings if you’re in need of an extra layer. To really make the outfit pop, don’t forget to add a few mega-bright accessories into the mix.
What’s your go-to night out getup when the temperature takes a dip? Tag us in your winter night out snapson Instagram.