15 Ways to Get Your Frizzy Hair Under Control
Beating the heat is a breeze when it comes to choosing what to wear when it’s too hot to deal or slathering on cooling beauty products, but our hair is a whole different story. The humidity keeps ruining our best laid hair plans and turning our sleek strands into a frizzy mess. Sure, you have the option to just wear your hair in a bun all summer long, or you can tame your tresses and take back your style. Check out these tips and helpful products designed to control your locks during unruly summer days, and show humidity who’s boss.
1. Switch to a microfiber towel. Are you still vigorously rubbing your hair with one of those terrycloth towels when you get out of the shower? All that rubbing means more breakage and more frizz — the very thing you’re trying to avoid — so you may want to switch to a microfiber towel like the Turbie Twist Microfiber Hair Towel ($13).
2. Use a diffuser. Traditional hair dryers don’t do you many favors. They dry your locks unevenly, which creates unwanted frizz. Try adding a diffuser attachment like the DevaCurl DevaFuser ($45). The hand-like attachment allows you to properly dry your strands from root to tip. The unique vents also offer 360° airflow to ensure your hair dries quickly and effectively.
3. Make a weekly date with hot oil treatments. By now, we all know that UV rays do serious damage to our skin. But what about our hair? Yup, the sun’s rays are also wreaking havoc on your mane and causing major frizz. That’s where L’Anza Keratin Healing Oil Hair Treatment ($44) comes in. Not only does it battle frizz by restoring moisture, but this sulfate- and paraben-free product also protects against UVA, UVB and UVC rays that dry out your tresses and cause frizziness.
4. Switch to a sulfate-free shampoo. Sulfates are really effective hair cleansers — a little too effective, actually. Sulfates can strip hair of its natural oils, causing dryness and frizziness. Go sulfate-free with Dermorganic Argan Oil Sulfate-Free Shampoo ($11) to keep your tresses clean and frizz-free. Plus, it’s got argan oil in it for some extra moisturizing.
5. Use a hydrating conditioner. First came dryness, then came frizz. To make sure your hair is properly moisturized and ready to beat the heat, try a hydrating conditioner like Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Moisturizing Hair Conditioner ($7). It’s a curly-girl fave because it’s so effective at adding much-needed moisture to quickly rehydrate your strands.
6. Switch to co-washing. No matter how gentle, your shampoo is stripping your hair’s natural oils with each wash, which is a main culprit of frizz. Switch it up a bit and use Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair Complete Conditioning Co-Wash ($5) instead. This creamy cleanser gently removes product buildup while nourishing your hair with moisturizing Shea butter.
7. Sleep in a silk scarf. You can also battle the ultimate hairstyle ruiner while you’re sleeping. You may not realize it, but your bed linens are rubbing against your hair while you sleep, causing breakage that leads to frizz. Wrap your locks in the Echo “Ichat” Square Silk Scarf ($39) while you rest. The silk stops the harmful rubbing that’s distressing your tresses. Plus, since it’s silk and not cotton, it won’t absorb all the moisture from your hair.
8. Sleep on a satin pillowcase. If you’re an active sleeper, a silk hair scarf is probably not for you; go for the Spasilk Hair Beauty Pillowcase ($10) instead. It does the same job as a silk head scarf — preventing hair-breaking friction — without the fuss of wrapping your hair. Plus, it comes in 17 different colors, so it’ll match all of your bedding.
9. Invest in a good brush. Brushing your hair with the wrong brush can leave you with a damaged, frizzy mess. That’s where the Denman Cushion Brush ($10) comes in. It minimizes frizz-causing breakage and properly distributes product for complete hydration.
10. Try a hood dryer. So, you’ve deep conditioned, shampooed, washed and brushed your hair. But don’t forget about proper drying. Regular bonnet dryers can blow your hair around in the bonnet, which causes (you guessed it) frizz, but the Laila Ali Ionic Soft Bonnet Dryer ($45) doesn’t. Plus, the ion-infused airflow helps maintain moisture levels to keep your locks looking shiny and lush.
11. Get a new comb. A comb is just a comb, right? Wrong. The YS Park 452 Round Tooth Cutting Comb ($16) isn’t just a comb. The YS Park 452 is heat resistant up to 428°F, the holes in the handle allow for airflow for when you’re blowdrying your hair and the wider teeth on the comb better distribute product and won’t tug and break your hair. Use this to work your conditioner through your hair in the shower to make sure your locks are properly hydrated.
12. Use a leave-in conditioner. Laugh in the face of humidity with this genius product. Apply Giovanni Direct Leave-In Treatment Conditioner ($9) post wash for controlled care of your hair. A little of this product goes a long way to tame flyaways and reduce frizz. Take that, humidity.
13. Use a heat protectant. Heat styling is usually a no-no if you’re trying to avoid frizz, but thanks to Tresemmé Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray ($6), you can dust off the ol’ flat iron and get to stylin’. This product not only protects against high heat, but also prevents friction.
14. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. What’s the key to frizz-free hair? You guessed it — moisturizing. The Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie ($13) does just that. The coconut oil in this wonder product hydrates and protects your hair while also reducing breakage caused by dryness.
15. Use a hydrating styling gel. If you read the label on some hair gels on the market, you’ll notice that they contain alcohol. That’s a huge no-no for frizz control. Reach for Eco Styler Moroccan Argan Oil Styling Gel ($9) instead. The alcohol-free non-drying formula also contains nourishing oils and provides flake-free hold.
Looking for more haircare tips? Visit us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.