Sunday evening we all have the best intentions. We’ve written out a menu , we’ve done the grocery shopping and we are set for the healthiest week of breakfasts yet. Then Monday morning rolls around and our best intentions get left in the kitchen along with our breakfast.
Even though we know breakfast is crucial to our health, it’s all too easy to chug a coffee and ride the caffeine high until lunch. But studies show that women who start their day with protein not only feel more relaxed during the rest of the day, but generally eat less during the day. So, if you only have time to eat one thing for breakfast, here are 16 breakfasts with the perfect combo of fat and protein that will help you break the cycle of snacking and keep you happier.
1. Be Well Smoothie : A smoothie is a great way to grab everything you need for breakfast on the go. This green smoothie combines the perfect amount of fiber, protein and healthy fats to keep you full throughout the day. (via Be Well by Kelly )
2. Breakfast Crepes : These low-carb, high-protein egg crepes are filled with avocados, alfalfa sprouts and turkey for the ultimate combination of protein. Eggs and avocado give you all the essential fats that you need for healthy brain function to get you through those workday blues. (via Avocado Pesto )
3. Skinny Breakfast Frittatas : These look like a fancy meal to be reserved for leisurely weekend brunches , but all you have to do is whip together eggs, veggies like spinach and sun dried tomatoes, a dash of feta cheese and throw ’em in the oven for 20 minutes while you do your makeup. (via Skinny Ms. )
5. Banana Pancake Taco : Roll up these gluten-free pancakes with Greek yogurt and bananas. Fun, healthy and simple, this breakfast is high protein and only 100 calories per taco. (via Food Faith Fitness )
6. Protein-rich Berry Smoothie : Made with frozen berries, Greek yogurt, vanilla protein powder , chia seeds and water, this smoothie is a great way to get your protein without any eggs. (via Gourmet Persuasion )
7. Cottage Cheese Fruit Bowl : A bowl filled with fruit and cottage cheese is a low-calorie dish that will definitely keep you satisfied ’til lunch. Cottage cheese for breakfast is a great protein option that’s filled with fiber and will also help boost your immune system. (via Salad Menu )
8. Cinnamon Chocolate Overnight Oats : Craving something dessert-like for breakfast? Skip the donut and go for this decadent chocolate breakfast instead. If you make it the night before, you’ll literally have to do nothing in the morning but scoop it into your mouth. (via Whole Food Real Families )
9. Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bars : Some of us just don’t do breakfast, and that’s okay. But it’s still not an excuse for calling coffee “breakfast.” Make a batch of these protein-rich bars and toss a couple in your purse to enjoy at work when you do start to feel hungry. (via The Big Man’s World )
10. Coconut Quinoa Porridge : Think of this breakfast as oatmeal, but on steroids. Combining quinoa and chia seeds makes a sort of supercharged porridge, and quinoa is a complete protein (and anti-inflammatory!), as it contains all nine essential amino acids. (via Heart and Bowl )
11. Fresh Orange Smoothie : It’s time to ditch that gritty protein powder. Adding egg whites to your smoothie not only thickens it, but also makes it more natural and healthy. (via My Organized Chaos )
12. Sweet Potato Breakfast Burrito : If you’re trying out Meatless Mondays , these vegetarian breakfast burritos are for you. They work great as a make-ahead, freezer-friendly meal option. (via Kim’s Cravings )
13. Cocoa Protein Bowl : Smoothie bowls are a great option for fuss-free breakfasts that require zero prep. The secret to this velvety smooth drink is silken tofu and a hefty scoop of cocoa powder. (via Kiran Tarun )
14. Huevos Rancheros : Black beans are a great source of meatless protein. Top a tortilla with black beans, egg and a lot of salsa for a deliciously easy, Mexican-inspired breakfast. (via The Garlic Diaries )
15. Banana Bread Protein Waffles : Add a bit of vanilla protein powder to these tasty waffles for an uber-filling breakfast. Top with fruit or keep things classic with peanut butter and syrup. (via Yeah, Imma Eat That )
16. Jumping Monkey Smoothie : We’d never expect you to ditch coffee completely — that boost of caffeine is what gets us through the roughest mornings. So why not incorporate it right into your healthy breakfast in the form of this caffeinated chocolate-banana smoothie? #Yum (via A Balance of Tastes )
What are your favorite protein-packed breakfasts? Share your tips and thoughts in the comments below!