We like to think of our smartphones as our forever companions — they can keep you entertained on long flights or even help you track down your parked car. If you’re one of those people who takes their phone absolutely everywhere (we’re talking bathroom, subway, bed — no holds barred), you might want to put the screen down and reconsider. There’s a chance that your phone’s battery can overheat and set your bed on fire. Seriously.
If a battery is not given proper space for ventilation, it can easily overheat. It’s the same reason why you can’t keep your laptop on your knees for too long or your workplace will turn into a sauna. But when a battery is trapped under sheets, there’s simply nowhere for the energy produced by the battery to go. And that’s when trouble starts.
Over the past few years, there have been several reported instances of charging phones burning through beds. Apparently, when all that energy is trapped underneath a pillow, it can cause the battery to melt and, in extreme cases, ignite.
There’s also the fact that looking at a screen at night can keep you awake even longer and that your phone is probably sending out some radiation. So, better safe than sorry — just keep your phone on your nightstand. Or, as some sleep specialists recommend, out of the bedroom completely.
Do you sleep with your phone? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)