It’s a fact: The parching effect of dry cabin air can leave even the most moisturized of us looking dry by the time we touchdown. So how do you stop a plane trip from turning into a beauty nightmare? Toss these 20 makeup weapons in your carry-on, and by the time you land, you’ll be fresh and ready to enter vacation mode!
1. Makeup Bag ($250): Just try finding another bag that has two zippered compartments, one for takeoff and one for touchdown so you can keep all your makeup and lotions organized and easy to access. We love this one by Anya Hindmarch with a clear exterior so you can instantly find what you’re looking for. Keep in mind you will still have to keep all your liquids in a Ziploc bag when going through security!
2. Mini Deodorant ($1): Nothing is worse than sitting in a plane and knowing your deodorant is wearing off. If you’re going to be flying for any amount of time, make sure you have a mini 48-hour deodorant in your bag to keep things smelling fresh.
3. Makeup Wipes ($2): If you are flying for a long time, you’ll probably want to remove your makeup after takeoff. Even if you just have a short flight or aren’t wearing makeup, it’s nice to have wipes to freshen up.
4. Moisturizer ($19): As we all know, airplanes are terrible for your skin but if you keep a little moisturizer with you, you can make sure your face doesn’t get too dry and flaky during the flight. The lightweight formula of Kiehl’s Ultra Moisturizer absorbs easily so you won’t look greasy while locking in moisture and protecting your skin from the rays coming through the windows.
5. Hand Sanitizer ($2): Obviously, this is a necessity when you’re on a germ-infested flight. Whether you need to clean up before a meal or just want to disinfect before applying lotion to your hands or face, hand sanitizer is crucial, and we love all the wonderful scents that our old fave Bath + Body Works carries.
6. Emergen-C ($1): This stuff could be a lifesaver, especially if you find yourself sitting next to someone hacking and sniffling. It’s mostly Vitamin C, but also a great blend of other vitamins and electrolytes to keep you as healthy and hydrated as possible!
7. Colgate Wisps ($3): If you’re not lucky enough to get an in-flight toothbrush, these little “toothbrushes” are perfect for travel because you don’t need to carry toothpaste; it’s all in one convenient package. Just bite down on the head to get the toothpaste, brush and rinse with water.
8. Cream Blush ($24): If your skin is feeling dry, you don’t want to use a lot of powders, so try using a cream blush instead. Depending on the blush you have, you can even use it to add some color to your lips right before landing. If you’re looking to try a quality product, Bobbi Brown has some gorgeous colors at affordable prices!
9. Lip Balm ($25): Take a lip balm to keep your lips soft and kissable! Stick with something healing like this ultra-hydrating balm that moisturizes, nourishes and protects your lips.
10. Concealer ($20): Perfect for dark circles under your eyes or redness from being dehydrated on the flight, this Laura Mercier concealer is a moisture-rich, emollient formula that is specially designed for the dry, sensitive skin under the eye.
11. Mascara ($8): After a sleepless night on a plane, you don’t want to arrive looking like a zombie! Maybelline Falsies is a great drug-store mascara that adds instant glam, while not clumping or looking too heavy. It’s great for perking up your eyes if you don’t want to wear a lot of eye makeup.
12. Rollerball Perfume ($22): Your seat mate may not appreciate getting misted with each perfume refresh, so consider taking a little rollerball version of your favorite scent instead.
13. Eyedrops ($6): Dehydration, recycled air, stress and not sleeping really takes a toll on your eyes. Having refreshing eye drops can help keep the redness away.
14. Neutral Eyeshadow Palette ($50): Get a mini eyeshadow palette with several neutral colors so you can quickly add a bit of color to your lids right before you disembark. Naturally we love anything bronze and copper, so this Bobbi Brown palette looks perfect!
15. Eye Mask ($63): If you have to jump right into important business after landing, don’t fly without soothing eye mask treatment pads. Apply 15 minutes before you land and your eyes are instantly de-puffed, the fine lines are eliminated and your skin is tighter and brighter.
16. Illuminator ($27): Fluorescent lights and cramped airplane bathrooms make it extremely difficult to apply any type of makeup, so keep things simple with an illuminator that will instantly enhance your complexion without foundation or powders.
17. Hand Cream ($63): Don’t let your hands turn dry and scaly! Find a luxurious hand cream with an aromatic fragrance that will relax you as it moisturizes, like this luxurious jasmine Rodin lotion.
18. MAC Fix+ Travel Size ($10): For an instant glowing complexion, spray this vitamin-packed essence over your face and neck. Infused with a calm-the-skin blend of green tea, chamomile and cucumber, it’s a must-have for a healthy glow, and you can apply above or below makeup.
20. Lip Gloss ( $25): After you’ve moisturized your lips throughout the flight, freshen up with some bright lip gloss right before you land, especially if someone special is waiting to pick you up!
Will you be packing any of these essentials on your next flight? Let us know in the comments below!