Craving Carbs? Whip Up These 20 Unique Gnocchi Dishes
When it starts getting really chilly outside, sometimes all you want is a big plate of delicious pasta. And hey, we get that, but hear us out for a second. What about changing things up and trying a new twist on the old classic? Gnocchi, in all their delicious iterations, are tiny, fluffy dumplings that bring new meaning to the words “comfort food.” They can be made with almost anything you have in your fridge, like potatoes, squash and pumpkin. Even better, they’re extremely versatile, standing up to many different preparations. We’ve got 20 of our favorite ways here for you, which should be enough to last you all winter long.
1. Gnocchi Gratin With Gorgonzola: In this rich side dish, handmade gnocchi gets doused with tangy blue cheese and savory rosemary, then topped with a crackling breadcrumb mix and, what else, more cheese. YUM. (via Bon Appetit)
2. Herbed Gnocchi With Greens: Gnocchi packed with parmesan and herbs get an extra flavorful punch from sausage and kale. Follow the technique outlined here with any of your favorite seasonal veggies for a dinner treat all year round. (via Lady and Pups)
4. Ramen Gnocchi With Mushrooms and Peas: This isn’t your ordinary pasta or your typical college ramen bowl. The gnocchi is made from a dough derived from ramen “flour,” but trust us, the effort is worth it. (via Broad Appetite)
5. Duck and Mushroom Stroganoff With Gnocchi: Gnocchi are essentially pasta, except with plenty of extra chewiness and soft texture to feel like something more decadent. They’re the perfect replacement for pasta in this hearty fall dish. (via The Pink Dumpling)
7. Matzo Gnocchi Soup: This traditional dumpling soup gets a new spin with small, fluffy gnocchi. It may not be your grandmother’s giant sinkers, but we’ll bet even she will enjoy them. (via Bon Appetit)
8. Braised Beef Short Ribs With Gnocchi: The starch from the gnocchi helps thicken this rich sauce of red wine and beef stock, and each little dumpling soaks up all the delicious leftovers. (via Katie at the Kitchen Door)
10. Gnocchi With Herb Salsa Verde: A bright green sauce lightens up pillowy gnocchi with just enough spice to waken up your tastebuds. (via Always with Butter)
11. Calhette di Prali: This isn’t the typical gnocchi you find in restaurants, but the ragged peasant dumplings are packed with flavor thanks to bacon, cinnamon and nutmeg. (via Blu Indigo)
12. Vegan Kabocha Squash Gnocchi: Cutting out eggs and cheese doesn’t mean you can’t have deliciously rich pasta. Squash adds creaminess, while a vegan pesto packs a super herbaceous punch. (via Sweet Kabocha)
16. Gnocchi alla Romana: Roman style gnocchi are made with semolina flour, giving them a bright corn flavor. They’re a little denser than regular gnocchi, so they stand up to the thick red sauce they’re baked with. Serve this hearty meal on a cold night. (via Manu’s Menu)
17. Gnocchi Mac and Cheese With Ham and Peas: Need we really say more? Trust us, it’s just as good, if not better, than your typical mac. Sub any “toppings” in for ham and peas for added deliciousness. (via Erica’s Recipes)
20. Almond and Cheese Gnocchi With Spicy Blueberry Sauce: We saved the sweets for last. You should too! Serve as a surprising and delicious dessert. (via Rustica)
Now we’re dying to break out some gnocchi making skills ASAP — aren’t you? Tell us your favorite gnocchi recipes in the comments below!