13 Ways to Wear Hair Accessories Like a Fashion Week Model
New York and Milan (and now Paris) have given us a fair share of fashion week hair moments. From next-level braids to streamlined center parts to the most enviable bed-to-runway hair, the oohs and aahs you hear as models turn on the catwalk as much for their set to perfection strands as it is for their outfits. DIY inspiration? Oh yeah. But even if you don’t have the time to recreate those designer-approved ‘dos, the shows have showered us with hair accessories that make even the most basic of hairstyles so chic just like that. Browse through the best of the bunch from all three fashion capitals then shop the 13 lookalikes to style out your hair just like a FW model.
1. Knotted Turban Scarf at Chloe Sevigny for O.C.: Actress, It girl and now fashion week designer Chloe Sevigny went school girl cool for her SS15 Opening Ceremony line. We love the mix-and-matched jumpers just as much as we do the knotted headband. Forget perfecting how to tie a bow and get the look with a twist scarf ($15), two-toned for extra punch.
2. Striped Headbands at Trina Turk: Trina Turk is thinking BIG when it comes to headbands (AND colors AND patterns) — wear your hair super straight with a thick striped headwrap ($4) and bring this retro styling into modern times with bright blue eyeshadow and a coral lip.
3. Metallic Wrap at Jason Wu: Truth: A ponytail cannot get chicer than this. Copy Jason Wu’s streamlined styling with a cuff ponytail holder ($20) that elevates your pulled-back strands whether they’re slicked back or tousled just-so.
4. Leather Headband at Pascal Milet: We’re obsessed with the idea of rocking a leather headwrap ($10). As Pascal Milet shows here, it gives immediate edge to an otherwise girly outfit for an entirely new take on feminine style.
5. Tied Back Scarf at Whit: Seriously, a tied back headscarf is now en vogue, especially if the one wrapped around your head boasts a punchy print like this one from Whit. Extra fashion cred if you match your patterned scarf ($11) to the shapes on your outfit, too!
6. Roses + Gems at Dolce & Gabbana: This is how a basic bun, pony or braid becomes the dreamiest ‘do ever. Take a cue from D&G and wear flowers in your hair with these colorful flower clips ($16) that you can cluster or scatter throughout your strands.
7. Spell It Out Headband at Jeremy Scott: See? Not all of Miley Cyrus’s craft-cessories are totally insane. This particular headband is playful, offbeat and tells it like it is — something we also feel strongly about come Party Time. This pink letter headband ($15) is primed for an appearance on the birthday girl’s dome.
8. Woven Scarf Bun at alice + olivia: The time has come in which we *do* suggest you, as an adult, buy a scrunchie ($11 for two). It just might be the easiest way to hack the look of a scarf-clad sock bun — be sure to choose one made of chiffon, polyester or something lighter to steer away from #tbt territory.
9. Hair Clips + Feathers at L.A.M.B.: Gwen Stefani’s hair clips and punk rock feather pairing may seem high-concept, but we think it’s a runway-level look that would translate beautifully IRL with just a few tweaks. Try adding a decorative pattern of colorful bobby pins ($10) onto one segment of a side-swept updo, and add in a feather hair clip ($38) as a final touch.
10. Crocodile Tails at Fendi: Fendi floored us with the introduction of its “crocodile tail” hair accessory, which seems to be some sort or tropical flower meets mega fringe hairpiece. Over-the-top? Totally, and we’re loving it. Go with an equally enormous floral hair clip ($14) if you heart it, too.
11. Pearl Headband at Erin Fetherston: Erin Fetherston pretty much nailed the pretty in pearls look, and it’s exactly how we want to be rocking the milky bauble this season. Follow suit with a just-as dainty headband ($28) you can wear with both your fall wedding outfit and favorite tee + jeans.
12. Tied Mini Bun at J JS Lee: The basic low bun gets the half-up treatment — a move *we* wish we thought of! — and then tied off with a twist. It’s a #hairhack waiting to happen — grab a twist scarf ($14) and get at it!
13. Jeweled Flower Crown at Bora Aksu: Bora Aksu’s opulent take on a flower crown has us swooning, ’cause there might not be a more gorgeous combination than petals and gems. Top off any ‘do with a rhinestone floral headband ($20) — even a messy topknot — and get ready to turn heads.
Which fashion week hair accessories are you itching to wear? Tell us about your favorite pieces in the comments below.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.