What to Make This Weekend: Pom Pom Pillows, Wood Engraved Map + More
Well, it’s official: Summer is coming to an end and all the fall feels are coming in fast. While there’s no doubt the pool parties and rosé wine treats will be missed dearly, it’s always exciting to spend a weekend sipping hot drinks and digging up inspo for fall DIY projects. Why not welcome the shift in seasons with a new addition to your home or wardrobe (or both!)? Whether you’re in need of a way to artfully display your travel souvenirs or a sneaky way to keep your heating costs down next month, here are 11 projects to tackle before Monday rolls back around.
1. DIY Wood Engraved Map: It doesn’t matter whether you spend the summer hopping from beach to beach or on an epic road trip around the country; It’s time to turn those memories into a snazzy piece of home decor. Turn a piece of wood into a wood-engraved map and personalize each state with pretty patterned paper. (via Brit + Co)
2. DIY Pom Pom Pillow: Cooler weather = more couch time, which means it’s time to switch up your throw pillow game. Take advantage of some quality Netflix time to make a pile of pom poms and perk up an old pillowcase or hack an inexpensive IKEA pillow into a one-of-a-kind piece of decor. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
3. DIY Paper Leaf Fall Garland: You can never have too many garlands, and this paper leaf one is perfect for home decor or your first fall party. Pick out your favorite fall color palette, pull out those scissors and dress up your mantle, windows and hallways with these chic crepe paper leaves. (via The House That Lars Built)
4. DIY Cactus Cotton Bag: Customize a cotton canvas pencil case, backpack or makeup bag with this super quick and simple project. Pick colors and patterns that make you smile and make stamps for a cactus or strawberry print to keep those summer vibes going strong. Lastly, but most importantly, add a few gold geometric accents. (via I Spy DIY)
5. DIY Color Blocked Soap: If you’ve never made soap before, you’ll love how easy the whole process is. Plus the little bars make great presents and you can completely personalize each batch with different colors and scents. If you’re partial to all things color blocked, all you need to do is nail this method of tilting the pan to get each layer of colors perfectly stacked. (via A Beautiful Mess)
6. DIY Flirty Boho Top: The only thing better than buying new clothes is revamping the ones you already have into something totally awesome. Transform a basic long sleeved tee into a flirty, flowy boho top with some simple sewing techniques and get ready for a rad #OOTD photoshoot. (via Brit + Co)
7. DIY Mobile: Not just for the nursery anymore, a simple geometric mobile might be just what your living room or bedroom needs to add some twirly, gold goodness. Use gold macrame hoops in various sizes to create this simple little orb mobile that is perfect for hanging above a reading nook, over a bedside table, or mixing in with your hanging plants. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
8. DIY Grid Wall Organization: Workstation feeling a little “meh”? Perk up your inspo wall with a grid and a place to hang your calendars, scissors and other crafty supplies. Add a little copper spray paint for extra pizzazz and ta-da, instant organization. (via I Spy DIY)
9. DIY Draft Stopper: If you’re looking for some easy ways to get your home ready for cooler weather, look no further than this door stopper. It’s an easy DIY that adds color to your space while keeping all that expensive heating inside your home where it belongs. Win win. (via Brit + Co)
10. DIY Printable Pizza Treat Pockets: Oh, you’re not throwing a pizza party this weekend? Well, you should be, especially with these adorable treat pockets on the DIY docket. Print each slice out on any fun colored paper and you can put together a whole pie in no time. (via Oh Happy Day)
11. DIY Roller Skate Pillow: Not quite ready to break out the fall leaves and pumpkin orange palette? Spruce up your couch with a totally rad roller skate pillow instead. The best part about this pillow is that you don’t even have to use your sewing machine. Whip out the glue and you’ll be skating around in no time. (via Aww, Sam)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)