8 Reasons Why Turning Into Your Mother Isn’t Such a Bad Thing
There was a time you swore you’d never be like your mother. And then you grew up and had children. That’s when you realized something kind of startling — you actually *want* to be like her now. Parenting may look different today than it did a few decades ago when you were a kid, but that doesn’t mean you can’t snag a few tricks from the woman who raised you. Scroll on for eight reasons to be just be like your mom.
1. She raised you. You made it through childhood — even those awkward and angsty tween and teen years. She was there every step of the way and helped you become the person you are today. That’s something worth passing down to your own kiddos too.
2. She’s got tons of wisdom. Your mama has been doing the parenting thing for more than a few years now. In that time she’s made her share of mistakes, had plenty of triumphs, and learned a thing or two (or several hundred). Being a knowledgeable mother doesn’t happen overnight, and you can’t expect those decades of wisdom to accumulate after only a few weeks, months, or even years at it. But once you’ve been a mom for the long haul, some of what your own mother knows might just rub off on you.
3. She’s over the balancing act. She tried that whole supermom thing back in the day, and even then it didn’t work. And she knows that you can try all you want but there’s no way to do it all. So after years of attempting to “balance” everything, she dropped the juggling act, relaxed, and started enjoying life again.
4. She’s comfortable in her own skin. The middle school drop-offs she made while wearing her PJs may have totally embarrassed you as a tween, but your mom could care less what anyone thinks of her. Stop trying to pretend you’re so darn Pinteresting and just be yourself — like your mom is. Don’t worry; the people who matter most appreciate you for who you really are, especially your kiddos.
5. She loves her kids. She’s the one who kissed every boo-boo, wiped your tears away when your first love broke your heart, and devoted her life to making sure you’re happy. And she certainly didn’t do it for the accolades and gratitude because let’s be real, that doesn’t actually happen. It was all (and still is) just because she loves you. You love your little ones too, and like your mom, there isn’t anything that you wouldn’t do for them.
6. She’s your cheerleader. Even if she’s never picked a pom-pom, she still rooted for you 24/7. As your own personal cheerleader, she helped you to develop a healthy attitude, self-esteem, and the confidence you need to succeed in the world, which are all things you want to impart to your kids as well.
7. She knows all the hacks. Not only does your mama know how to parent, she also knows all the little tips and tricks to make things easier. Long before there were mommy blogs, Pinterest, or even the internet, your mom built up her own repertoire of creative ways to MacGyver anything you needed, including a last-minute Halloween costume using masking tape, a leftover cereal box, and three markers. Her ingenious hacks are gems that make you want to be the woman who created them.
8. She’s the most patient person — ever. Remember when you tried on every single prom dress at the mall? Guess who stood there for six hours helping you decide which one to buy? Or that time when you were a little kid and refused to leave the park, so she pushed you on the swing set for the better part of a day? She has endless patience, while you feel like your fuse is slowly (or sometimes quickly) growing shorter. Take a tip from Mom and adopt her never-ending ability to calmly watch and wait.
What do you admire about your own mother? Let us know on Twitter @BritandCo!
(Photo via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)