You’re warm and cozy inside… but the snow is sparkling outside of your window and that winter weather beckons. How you’d love to hit the slopes or grab a sled to get active in the chilly white stuff. If only you weren’t preggo! Your baby bump doesn’t stop you from doing much — except heading down a slippery, icy slope. Don’t worry, mama-to-be. You can still have winter fun galore, just in a different way.
1. Go for a walk. As long as it’s not arctic levels of cold outside, there’s no reason to stay inside all season. Bundle up and go for a walk with your S.O. Make sure that your boots have plenty of tread, and steer clear of icy spots. Falling isn’t something that any pregnant person needs at any point during their three trimesters.
2. Hang with your feathered friends. That pretty little cardinal who’s fluttering around your home is having fun in the crisp air, and you can too. Layer on the winter gear, head outside, and hang with the birds. Okay, okay, we get it: Bird-watching isn’t exactly on the same level as snowboarding. But it is a way to get your nature on while also getting some fresh air.
3. Play documentary photographer. There’s so much going on outside in the winter. Between the snow falling, the gentle glisten of ice on tree branches, and sunny (but chilly) reflections, you have plenty to snap pics of. Document the season by taking pictures of your pregnant belly shadowed on the pristine snowy ground, your honey hanging out in a snowdrift, or anything out there that screams, “It’s wintertime!”
4. Build like a child. In a few short years, you’ll be back outside helping your kiddo build their first snowperson. Get back to your own childhood before you have a child of your own and forge your very own Frosty. Get your significant other or BFF to help you roll and stack mega-sized snowballs. Pick out the perfect fashions to dress up your new snow friend as your fave celeb or a colorful character from a movie. You can even add an extra snowball in the middle to make a snowperson with their own baby bump!
5. Warm up — outside. That hot toddy you tried to make just about every other winter isn’t going to happen this year. But you can mix yourself up a spiced (that is spiced with a “C” and not spiked with a “K”) hot tea or a marshmallow-filled hot chocolate to take outside. Fill a thermos and sip the drink while sitting on a park bench with your honey, making your own beverage-fueled winter picnic.
6. Be a cheerleader. Your BFFs are going sledding, and you feel totally left out. But just because you can’t get on that vintage Radio Flyer and whoosh down a killer hill doesn’t mean you can’t have fun. So you have to stand on the sidelines — that’s not the worst thing in the world. Cozy yourself up in a cute maternity snow coat, bring a thermos of hot cocoa for everyone to share, and cheer your friends on.
7. Snack on s’mores. Mmm, s’mores. It’s a good bet you’re jonesing for the chocolatey, marshmallow-packed yumminess of the classic stackers. Set up a firepit outside and use it to toast a few (dozen) marshmallows. The fire will keep you warm as you — and your S.O. and friends — enjoy a faux winter camp in your backyard without the hassle of having to shiver in a tent.
8. Rock an indoor snow bunny look. You can’t hit the slopes, but that shouldn’t stop your other half from doing so. And it shouldn’t stop the two of you (or you and a friend) from taking a mountaintop pre-baby vacation. Whether you’re going on a romantic getaway or a girls’ trip, deck yourself out in your favorite après-ski attire, grab an indoor window seat, and enjoy the snowy panorama from the comfort of a pillow-filled chair.
What’s your favorite wintertime activity? Tweet us your pick @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)