Beat Winter Like a Boss With These 15 Boots
After that whole polar vortex situation last winter, we’re serious about finding ways to keep warm and battle the elements. And that includes our feet. As we learned the hard way, just-your-average shoes don’t mix well with blistering cold temps and three plus inches of snow and black ice. So if you’re as ready as we are to kick inclement weather to the curb (and give your feet a fighting chance), get scrolling for some of our top winter boot picks.
1. Cougar Cranbook Boots ($150): With these silvery boots, the elements don’t stand a chance. Polar plush lining and a cold rating of -30 degrees Celsius/ -22 degrees Fahrenheit mean that even in the coldest temps, your feet will be super toasty. Plus, they’re waterproof, so you won’t have to worry about wading through slush-lined streets and ankle-deep puddles.
2. Sorel Snowlion XT Boots ($120): Just like its name, the Snowlion boot from Sorel is fierce. It offers top-of-the-line protection from extreme conditions, plus the multidirectional lug gives you enhanced traction, so wiping out isn’t even a possibility.
3. Free People Leopard Icon Hiker Boot ($228): Okay, so you may not want to wade through knee-high snow drifts in these babies, but the treaded rubber soles are ready to tackle all those slippery surfaces. With a leopard print and pony-hair upper, you’ll want to rock these hip boots long after the last drop of snow melts.
4. Woolrich Women’s Roadhouse Plaid Boot ($350): As tempting as it might be to get suited up in full-blown snow gear, it’s not always practical. Instead, consider pieces that do double duty, like the Roadhouse boot. Whether you wear them over skinny jeans or fleece-lined tights, you’ll be ready to take on anything chilly that comes your way.
5. Native Jimmy Print Boots ($105): Your feet will forget what snow and freezing rain feel like when you take to the streets in a pair of Native boots. A water resistant upper keeps dampness out so your feet stay nice and dry, while the micro-fleece lining gives you just the right amount of insulation to beat those arctic temps.
6. Matt Bernson Windsor Wool Plaid Hiker Boot ($349): Even if we don’t totally love the negative temps and shoveling that go along with the winter months, if it means we can wear these wooly, leather lace-ups, we’re willing to suck it up.
7. Joie Norfolk Leather Boot ($200): The lugged outsoles on these vintage-inspired hikers mean business. Get your hands on a pair of -30 below merino wool socks, and you’ll be set.
8. Free People Out N About Glow Weather Boot ($100): Not only are these ankle boots crazy cute, they’re waterproof too, which means your feet will be singing your praises when the snow and sleet start to fall.
9. Tecnica Moon Boot W.E. Monaco Felt ($160): They may be designed for hopping around in zero gravity, but Moon Boots are pretty good for dashing through snow and slush here on Earth too. These iconic stompers are still going strong thanks to their waterproof nylon construction, hardy rubber sole and felt lining that help keep feet dry whether you’re on the slopes or strolling the city streets.
10. Sorel Women’s Glacy Explorer Shortie Boot ($125): If battling the elements is part of your daily routine, you need to get on these souped-up Sorels. From a waterproof suede leather and canvas upper to the cozy fleece lining and a tough rubber sole with serious grips, inclement weather can’t hold you down. Plus, if your feet need major support, they’ll find it in the molded EVA footbed.
11. Pendleton by Pendleton X Dr. Martens ($155): What happens when you mix Dr. Martens iconic boots with Pendleton’s intricately designed wool? Something pretty amazing. This winning collaboration is one you won’t want to pass up.
12. Tory Burch Abbott Quilted Shearling Boots ($300): Tory Burch gives classic, hunter-style boots a modern edge with vegan leather and shearling-lined cuffs that can be worn up or down, so you can switch up your style.
13. Woolrich Balt Buffalo Plaid Moto Boot ($225): You don’t have to ditch your favorite kicks just because there’s snow on the ground. Edgy ankle-length moto boots get winter ready with plaid wool paneling and tough rubber soles, so you can keep warm while still rockin’ your cool downtown style all winter long.
14. Merrell Decora Prelude Waterproof ($200): These stylish boots have all the features you’re looking for without the hefty price tag. Underneath the cute faux fur collar and waterproof ivory suede upper are some heavy-duty details like an impermeable membrane, which seals out water and lets moisture escape.
15. Sorel Slimpback Riding Boot ($210): If you live for your leather riding boots and would rather clear your social calendar than drag them through snow and sleet, then we just found your winter boot soulmate. With these, a few snowflakes will never stop you from hitting up happy hour or Sunday brunch again.
What are you wearing on your feet this winter? Tell us in the comments!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.