How to Make Time for a Workout When You Have Kids
Working out when you have kids can seem impossible. Between nursing, cleaning, changing diapers, making lunches and hopefully a shower, there’s not a whole lot of time left over in a day to get in a good sweat sesh. But if working out is a priority for you, we’re here to help with a few clever ways to fit it into your day.
1. Join a Family-Friendly Gym: By joining a family-friendly gym or community center, the kids can join in on the workout fun. Many gyms allow your tweens onto the gym floor with you or offer group fitness classes that invite you to bring your baby in a stroller.
2. Turn Your Spare Bedroom or Garage into an At-Home Gym: Have you been ignoring your spare bedroom? Well, it’s time to take it from storage room to workout room. Even just adding a yoga mat and a few sets of free weights can lead to some killer workouts for you. And you don’t even have to spend time traveling to the gym to do it.
3. Practice Mommy and Me Yoga: Seeing your little boy in upward dog might be the cutest thing ever. Instead of trying to get your zen time in solo, bring your little one with you to a mommy and me yoga practice.
4. Turn Playtime Into Workout Time: Next time you catch yourself browsing Brit + Co’s mobile app while your kids play at the park, set down the phone and turn play time into workout time. Walk the perimeter of the park, use the bench to do tricep dips and pushups or try your hand at monkey bars. (Image via Chatelain)
5. Workout at Home Using a Workout DVD or App: Videos and apps can be a saving grace when you’re short on time or can’t leave the house. Check out our favorite workout apps for the next time your living room becomes your gym. (Image via FitSugar)
6. Join a Gym That Offers Day Care: Scope out the gyms in your area for those that offer free or low-cost child care or day camps. Organizations like the YMCA or Jewish Community Center have children’s centers that your kids will never want to leave and give you the time you deserve to workout. (Image via Cultural Care Au Pair)
7. Make Your Lunch Break Your Walk Break: Maybe your lunch break is the only work-free, kid-free part of your day. Instead of working through your break or driving to the deli down the street, grab a work friend or two and head out for a walk.
8. Take a Family Walk Before or After Dinner: Family walks can make for some good quality time with you, your husband or wife and the kids. If you can, challenge yourself and the whole family to leave the phones at home. (Image via Defense Health)
9. Use a Baby Jogger: Jogging strollers for active moms might be the best thing since sliced bread. Think cardio and weight lifting in one.
10. Join a Mommy and Me Workout Group: Pre-baby, you might have laughed at the mommy-and-me stroller groups you used to see walking through the park every Saturday, but now that time with your girlfriends and babies might be your favorite part of the week.
How do you fit in your workouts with kids? Tell us!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)