11 Subscription Boxes You Should Gift This Holiday Season
Now that the holidays are fast approaching, it’s time to think of all the folks on your list for whom you need to buy presents (check out our tech gift guide if you haven’t yet!). The beauty of subscription gifts is that it’s the present that doesn’t require you to leave the house to purchase — you can do it in your PJs, at home and in bed! — and also, it’s the gift that keeps on giving. Basically, it’s the perfect choice for the lazy and generous. Scroll on for some subscription box gifts ideas everyone on your list will love.
1. Function of Beauty ($32 or $42): Function of Beauty shampoos and conditioners are entirely customizable, from the color to the scent of the product. Simply have ’em take a hair quiz to determine the hair concerns they want to address, choose their hair type, and voilà! A totally personalized hair regimen just for your mom/husband/girlfriend/etc. You get the picture.
2. Smile Direct Club ($1500 or $99/Month): Give someone the gift of a perfect smile. While Smile Direct Club is best for minor adjustments, it’s kind of a steal in terms of orthodontic work. All your loved one needs to do is take a smile assessment to determine if he or she is a good candidate, then Smile Direct Club will mail over an easy-to-use kit to make molds, and they’ll begin sending over week by week aligners that will make their smile perfect.
3. Graze ($12/Box): Graze is the best gift for keeping someone’s hangry at bay. Every box is packed with eight delicious snack packs of Graze’s own creation, and you can choose for the boxes to be delivered every week, two weeks or month. Plus, their library of snacks is MASSIVE. Get ready to feast.
4. Ritual Vitamins ($30/Month): Keep your gift recipient healthy with a subscription to Ritual. These two-a-day women’s vitamins are incredibly transparent with their ingredient sources (you can even read up on detailed info from the lead researchers from the source) and are backed by science. Only the good stuff here.
5. Le Tote ($39 or $59/Month): No one is going to say no to a box of beautiful clothing you can try out, keep as long as you want and even sell you what you LOVE from it at a discount. Le Tote has a great collection of everything from tops to accessories, so the fashionista in your life can always stay stylish.
6. Quip ($40 Upfront then $10/3 Months): While we all know dental hygiene is deeply important, perhaps you think giving someone a subscription to toothbrushes and toothpaste sounds not all that fun. Welp, Quip might change your mind about that. You pay $40 up front for a sleek electric toothbrush that comes in six pretty colors (it comes with toothbrush, a travel cover mount, a large toothpaste and a small toothpaste), then $10 every three months after that for a replacement brush head, another large toothpaste, a small toothpaste and a AAA battery.
7. Birchbox ($30/3 Months): No subscription gift guide would be complete without the OG of subscription gifts: Birchbox. Six years after the birth of Birchbox, the company — and the samples inside — are better than ever. Subscribe your friend now and she’ll receive the special holiday edition of the box. Also, there’s Birchbox for Men as well now!
8. Sephora Play! Box ($10/Month): Many folks don’t realize that Sephora also has a subscription model for deluxe sized samples called Play! At a competitive $10 a month, you get a box full of travel and sample-sized goodies. The only problem is the service has been so popular, there’s a waitlist to get on it! Don’t worry though. The beauty co. is working to expand the number of subscriptions by the month.
9. The Book Drop ($16/Month): The bookworm in your life is going to love this! For just $16 a month, he or she will receive a box of five different titles. You can even cater to his or her reading interests by selecting a different themed box: The Jane for readers interested in tales about women, The Ernest for folks who like stories about men, a YA selection and one for kids too!
10. Vinyl Me, Please ($100/3 Months): This is the perfect subscription gift for the record-zealot you know. Gifts come in three, six or 12-month options and is basically a digital gift card for their record library. Every month, she’ll receive an LP pressed exclusively for Vinyl Me, Please members, an original 12”x12” art print inspired by the album, a custom cocktail recipe, access to The Standard and access to member-exclusive inventory in Vinyl Me, Please’s online store. Pretty sweet deal!
11. MealPal (20 meals for $6/Meal): In case you can’t always take your fave person out for a meal, with MealPal, you CAN buy him or her lunch! The best part is the package for 20 meals a month nets out to less than $6 a meal. All he or she has to do is select their meal the day before, and come lunchtime, stroll out nearby to pick it up. Currently, MealPal is available in NYC, San Francisco, DC, Miami and Chicago.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.