11 Times Drake and Rihanna Made You Believe in Love
It’s been a whirlwind summer for Drake and Rihanna, the totally all-but-confirmed couple of our dreams. If Drake’s billboard and VMAs PDAs were the first time you caught a glimpse of the crazy chemistry between these two, you’ve got a lot of catching up to do. From their teen years to coming out as the couple of the summer, here are just some of the ways that #AubRih have made us believe in love over the years.
1. “Fireworks” Lyrics: Drake was rapping about Ri as early as 2010, which is a full FIVE years after they met as teenagers while she was filming her “Pon de Replay” video in Toronto, and one year after they were spotted making out at a Lucky Strike bowling alley in New York (WERE WE EVER SO YOUNG?). He sang: “Who could’ve predicted Lucky Strike would have you stuck with me / What happened between us that night, it always seems to trouble me / Now all of a sudden these gossip sites wanna cover me / and you making it seem like it happened that way because of me / but I was curious and I never forget it, baby, what an experience / You could’ve been the one, but it wasn’t that serious.” At the time they both brushed off dating rumors, and despite Drake saying it was never that serious, we get the feeling he was pretty serious about it. (Image via Giphy)
2. “What’s My Name:” One for the scrapbook: the first song and video they ever did together, in late 2010 (we don’t think Drake’s acting in this one). Their ~steamy~ performance of this at the Grammys in early 2011 definitely didn’t hurt the shippers’ case. (Image via Giphy)
3. “Take Care:” Another year, another hot music video. (Image via Giphy)
4. Wild in Houston: They allegedly had a wild night out in Houston together in late 2013, dropping $17k at a strip club. Did they go dutch? Did Ri pay? Knowing Drake (look, we know him very, very personally, okay?), we’re betting this was a move to try to impress Ri. (Image via Giphy)
5. The “Work” Video: It was exciting enough when Rihanna dropped “Work,” which featured Drake, but then they went to Toronto’s famous The Real Jerk restaurant to film a video. Then, why not, they filmed another video! The two were released as a package and both videos registered the chemistry between Drake and Ri as off the chaaaaarts. (Image via Giphy)
6. Brit Awards: Their performance of “Work” at the Brit Awards about a month after the video was released proved that chemistry was LEGIT. Drake — being Drake — literally bowed to her after the performance. (Image via Giphy)
7. When He Lovingly Impersonated Her on SNL: Just try to picture her reaction. (Image via Giphy)
8. Shouting from the Rooftops: Every time he brings her on stage he is just clearly so smitten. This isn’t just banter. THIS IS LOVE.
9. The Billboard: Remember when Drake bought Ri a billboard? And she Instagrammed it and heart-ed him for being so “extra”? UGH.
10. That VMAs Moment: And then the Miami moment. Drake’s dad recently said in the face of all of this that they’re just friends, but we’re NOT BUYING IT. Not after these summer-defining moments. (Image via Giphy)
11. Matching Tattoos: Even if these matching camouflage shark tattoos are just friendship tattoos, it is a friendship we love. To AubRih.
Do you think Drake and Ri are more than friends? Let us know over @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Jeff Gross/Getty)