16 Recipes You Need After a Day on the Slopes
After a day on the slopes, we’re dying to warm up our bones and bellies with something hearty when we get back to the cabin. Luckily, with a little advance planning, these 16 eats will be ready to work their magic in no time at all. From Alps-inspired appetizers to indulgent desserts and even a few steamy sips to wash it all down, we have you covered. Be warned: Once word gets out about your après-ski spread, you’ll be the envy of the entire mountain.
2. Buckwheat Pancakes With Blue Cheese, Bacon and Maple Syrup: Sweet and savory, these hearty pancakes pack in a hefty dose of protein and whole grain action at the same time. (via What Should I Eat for Breakfast Today?)
4. Budini Baked Chocolate Pudding: Make these brandy-infused pudding cakes ahead of time, and simply pop them back in the oven while you eat dinner. They’ll return to their original hot, puffy state in a snap. (via Sea Salt With Food)
5. Favorite Bolognese: There’s nothing like digging into a tangle of carbs, meat and veggies after a day on the slopes. The sauce requires a long simmer, so either make it ahead of time or toss it in your slow cooker and it’ll be good to go when you return home hungry. (via Healthy Recipe Ecstasy)
6. Panade of Leeks, Greens and Gruyere: Panade is basically a carb-loaded combination of bread pudding, stuffing and stew. We’re loving the little bit of veg action provided by leeks and leafy greens. However, swiss chard does seem especially apropos for some reason… (via Five and Spice)
8. Blade Roast With Onion Compote: Akin to French onion soup (with a whole lot more substance), the succulent chunks of beef and sweet, soft onions make for one terrific meal. Just add a veggie and some mashed potatoes to take things to the next level. (via The Healthy Foodie)
10. Hot Buttered Hazelnut Whiskey: Hot buttered rum has nothing on this nutty, flavor-packed concoction. (via Adventures in Cooking)
11. Oatmeal Molasses Dinner Rolls: Whether slathered with butter, dipped in a vat of fondue or used to soak up the last drops of soup, these rolls deserve a prime spot on the table. (via Vegetarian Ventures)
13. Roasted Kohlrabi and Smoked Salmon Niçoise: If salads are what you crave after a day on the mountain, give this Niçoise a go. Smoked salmon and root veggies work their magic to transform a classic, summery salad into a winter-ready toss. (via To Her Core)
14. Breakfast Sausage Biscuit Gravy Casserole: Make all the parts ahead of time, and this biscuit-topped beaut will be ready in a snap. A hearty dish like this is perfect at any hour, and we definitely recommend digging into any leftovers before your first run the following day. (via Lady and Pups)
16. Easy Apple Strudel: Keep this strudel on the counter for a quick pick me up before or after dinner. Using store-bought puff pastry means its tantalizing scent will be perfuming your kitchen real quick. (via Little Ferraro Kitchen)
Share your favorite après-ski activities and eats with us below!