Are you as obsessed with Trader Joe’s “Everything But the Bagel” ($2) seasoning as I am? It’s a magical combination of salt, garlic, onion, poppy seeds, and two kinds of sesame seeds, and when it hit shelves earlier this year people went nuts for the stuff. I mean, how could you not?! As a kid, I’d order an everything bagel , shake it to collect the extra seasoning so I could scoop it up into the cream cheese, and have that flavor explode in every single bite.
This seasoning has such a great flavor and really does make everything — and I mean *everything* — taste good! It’s sweet and savory, and has a little spice from the garlic and a nice crunchy texture. Plus it evokes that lovely nostalgic memory of tearing into your first fresh-out-of-the-oven everything bagel with a schemer. And while you have your traditional uses for this superb spice mix, here are a few other inspired ideas that become even better with a sprinkle of “Everything But the Bagel.”
- Avocado toast is still all the rage, so next time you’re craving it, try topping it with some seasoning. Add a pinch of red chili flakes for a nice spicy kick.
- Ahh, sweet fresh poke was almost made for this! The crispy crunch works really well paired with fresh fish.
- When you’re thinking #PutAnEggOnIt, you should also pair that thought with some seasoning.
- Imagine the flavor explosion that is an everything bagel seasoning-crusted roasted chicken breast. Trust me: It’s going to change the way you look at chicken.
- It also works well on salmon, steak, and turkey!
- Kicking off the new year with a bunch of serious salad recipes? This adds a nice pop of flavor to any of your salads…
- Or more specifically, try tossing them on your homemade croutons!
- We all love a good slice of pizza, and with the garlic and onion, this topping is a no-brainer.
- Make your hummus absolutely dreamy with a nice kick of spice.
- And for your next movie night, sprinkle on your buttered popcorn.
- Try adding a layer onto your grilled cheese for a crispy crunch that melds perfectly with warm gooey cheese.
- When it comes time for summer barbecue season, top your burger buns with a dusting of seasoning, or even try mixing it into your patties. It’ll be that unexpected flavor that will keep your guests craving more.
- Sure, Chicago dogs have their poppyseed buns, but just imagine if your New York-style hot dog came topped with an everything bagel.
- Grilled veggies need some seasoning too, and this adds a nice salty flavor to any veggie dish.
- Mac and cheese reaches a whole new level of awesome with the addition of some crispy crunch.
- Alright, so this one isn’t a dish per se, but try making some everything bagel seasoning butter. You’ll pretty much want to spread this on everything.
- Give a boring egg salad a new breath of life!
- And just in case you didn’t get enough of an avocado fix with the avocado toast, try spicing up your next batch of guacamole.
- Try making candied everything bagel bacon. Just sprinkle the seasoning with a little bit of brown sugar on your bacon before baking it, and wait for the magic to happen.
- If dessert’s your thing, the sweet and savory combo actually works! It might sound crazy, but the everything bagel donut exists, and it’s pretty awesome.
- Finally, while there are tons of amazing applications for the “Everything But the Bagel” seasoning, just adding loads more to your already well-seasoned everything bagel and cream cheese is never a bad option.
NOTE: No seasoning was left behind in the reporting of this article. Just in case you were worried about seeing it spilled on the table!
What are some of your favorite ways to use “Everything But the Bagel” seasoning from Trader Joe’s? Let us know on Twitter @BritandCo !
(Photos via Nicole Iizuka / Brit + Co)