14 Birkenstock-Inspired Sandals Even Better Than the Original
It’s a well-known fact that we have all fallen victim to a fashion trend (or faux pas) at some point or another. One high-profile trend on the rise is the iconic, slightly infamous, totally beloved Birkenstock. From the runway to the streets, fashionable “It Girls” everywhere have been spotted wearing these comfy, frumpy slides. You know what they say, if you can’t beat ’em, join ’em! If you’ve ever been on the fence about all this Birkenstock-hoopla, then these 14 Birk-inspired sandals are about to change that.
1. Coming Up Roses Sandal ($165): Just when you thought Birkenstock-inspired sandals would be anything but girly, we uncover this seriously rad pair. The graphic rose print is mesmerizing — sign us up!
2. Bali Footbed ($68): Channel your inner artist with these two-strap cork sandals. Complete with all the bells and whistles — embroidered tapestry and metallic sequins — the only thing missing is a pair of paint-splattered boyfriend jeans.
3. Muyil Slides ($109): Say hello to the Birkenstock alter ego. These slides are a refined version of the classic two-strap sandal. To up the cool-factor, pair them with a gauzy white maxi skirt and hit the beach!
4. Paz Two Strap Sandal ($150): When zebra-printed calf hair meets metallic pebbled leather, you get one seriously cool pair of slides. Birkenstock, who?!
5. Joss White ($89): To say these white thong sandals with lace-up detailing are exquisite would be the understatement of the century. They’re so pretty that (dare we say it) they could serve as the perfect modern day wedding sandal.
8. Luke Crisscross Slide Sandal ($158): If you’ve ever yearned for that effortless-cool-without-trying look, then say no more. These metallic leather and crisscross strapped sandals are undeniably glam and minimalist.
9. Ace Slide Sandal ($80): These spiked slide sandals really speak for themselves. Outrageous (and potentially dangerous), yes… but why not?
12. Y.R.U. Isis Caged Sandal ($85): Literally a mirror image of Birkenstock’s Chania Caged Leather sandal, these gladiators are just as fierce.
14. Lisbon Embellished Sandals ($101): Studs and rhinestones come together to form the prettiest floral pattern we ever did see! For some serious bohemian styling, slide these on with a floral maxi and you’re in business.
Yay or nay? Which Birkenstock-inspired sandal are you going to test run this summer? Leave a comment below!
Getting the word out about your brand takes time, drive, and ingenuity. And it doesn't come easy for many entrepreneurs. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're chatting with Selfmade alum Taylor Morgan McPherson, founder of Sustainable Sparkle Bar, about ways in which she scored press as a solo startup brand and what she learned from Selfmade to take her brand marketing up a notch.
B + C: How did you know Sustainable Sparkle Bar was your business to start?
Glitter has always been my thing, so when I started my event company I decided to make it my niche. I started telling people I threw glitter-themed parties where people would get sparkled with glitter body art and makeup. Six months after that I applied to my first festival and to work with SUR restaurant in West Hollywood.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
I honestly can't say that I've had a specific strategy that I've followed when it comes to getting my business off the ground. I have a PR background so I was just constantly pitching new business and posting on social media.
B + C: What's the biggest challenge you face as a small business owner?
I would say creating a stable income and revenue stream. With a seasonal, event-based business it can be very up and down.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
The relationships I made and the push to start an email database.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I love what I do and I believe in myself 100%. Staying motivated isn't the hard part. Pushing myself to do the work and staying accountable is the hard part.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip? Do you use any apps that help you manage your business?
I keep multiple to-do lists, hand-written and digital. I also tell clients and partners that I will have something to them by a certain time or day so I have to stick to it.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Just do it, take the leap. And don't worry about what anyone else says to thinks.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Issa Rae, I'm so inspired by everything that she's created being a creative and a black woman. It's my dream to have my own show one day based on my life and where I give advice and talk about the world. She's doing it and making people laugh and giving people joy. And it's based in LA. Watching Insecure only further cemented my dreams of wanting to live in LA.
B + C: How did you hear about the Office Depot scholarship?
One of my friends that I met through Camp No Counselors saw an IG ad for it and nominated me.
B + C: What has receiving the scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start/grow your business?
It's completely helped me level up and take my business to another level. Selfmade helped me host my first virtual event and taught me how to set up my website to sell tickets to events and get RSVPs.
B + C: How have Office Depot services or products helped you accomplish more in your business?
I got new cards to send in all of my orders with my discount code on them. I also bought a really cool 4K camera that I now use for my social media.
Let Office Depot OfficeMax help you stand out in the crowd. From signs, posters & banners to promote your business, to marketing materials to keep your customers informed, Office Depot OfficeMax offers a full suite of business services & solutions to help you & your business get noticed.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.