The Ultimate B+C Girl’s Guide to Black Friday
One day after being thankful for what we already have, many of us will meet on the Black Friday battlefield to fight it out for what we want. (For friends and fam, of course!) While shopping online may be more convenient, think of the calories you’ll burn from your turkey dinner by putting yourself in the retail trenches. It will not be easy. There will be long lines, stampedes of hangry shoppers, frigid weather and deals that may or may not be the best. But don’t freak. We’ve got your Black Friday boot camp right here at Brit + Co HQ.
What to Wear
As far as what to wear goes, Style Editor Kate Puhala has some great ideas here. Comfort is everything when you’re doing a major haul day like Black Friday. And it’s no secret that colors affect our mood; wearing bright colors and patterns will give you more energy. Unless you prefer to go for the stealthy, deal-snatching, ninja look.
Where to Shop
Whether you’re looking to FINALLY pick up that iPhone 6 or you need to focus more on the extensive “nice” list on your phone, we have the best Apple deals to scout out and the 30 best Black Friday deals actually WORTH setting your alarm for. Godspeed.
Obviously we know that we eat to obtain energy, but not all foods will give you the most energy possible. To make it through this high-energy day, you’ll need more than a pair of printed holiday socks. Choose snacks that you can easily carry, or perhaps pack a meal to take with you on the go. Here are five ideas:
1. KIND Bars: These healthy snacks are low in sugar, high in fiber and easy to pack and take with you for your Black Friday adventures. Plus, most of them use dark chocolate chips as an ingredient. Can you say, “Yum”? We can’t… our mouths are full.
2. Chocolate Milk: Believe it or not, a glass of chocolate milk in the afternoon may give you more energy than coffee. You might be fading because you’re dehydrated. Chocolate milk can satisfy the same craving as your mocha, and you will probably feel more energized, too. (via Daily Trojan)
3. Oatmeal Smoothie: 1/2 cup of soy milk, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 1 whole banana, 1/4 cup old fashioned oats… and blend. This is a great supplementary meal if you’re too busy door-busting to grab a bite. (via Chef Saavy)
Dealing with long lines at checkout is the most frustrating part of Black Friday. After fighting other shoppers for that last thing on your list, you’re exhausted and in need of another chocolate milk. Here are five tips to help you get your line tactics straight.
1. Look for Fewer People: Rather than hopping into that long express line, go for the shortest line possible, regardless of how heaping those carts are. It’s not the time it takes to ring individual items up that sucks up the most seconds; rather, it’s the time it takes a cashier to deal with payment… that will be the thing that puts you 20 minutes behind schedule.
2. Cyber Friday: Use your phone to snatch up online deals while you wait to check out in the store. Why just stand there when you could be shopping?
3. Keep Friends Close… and the Lady in Front of You in Line Closer: Make friends with the gal in front of you. Maybe she has an extra coupon she doesn’t need.
4. Buddy System: Bring someone with you for the sole purpose of holding your place in line. As you begin to wrap up your shopping, send your placeholder to scope out the shortest line.
5. Check, Please: Ask the cashier if there are any further discounts. You never know… all you may have to do to get another 15% off is give the store your email address.
Help from Your Phone
Even keeping all these line tactics in mind, it may be difficult to pass the time while you wait if you’re shopping a major department store with no crowd control. Managing your time on a day like Black Friday can be overwhelming. Instead of getting caught up in the chaos, make sure you’ve got these apps on your phone to make your life easier.
4. Any.do: This app organizes your to-do list and sends you reminders when you need to get things done. If you enter all the deals you wanted to hit, when the sale starts and where they are located into this app, your Black Friday could be the most productive day you’ve had all year. (Free on iOS and Android)
5. Punkpost: Send your holiday cards before you even have a chance to procrastinate. Choose your card from the website, type in your message and hit send. Punkpost handwrites your greeting and sends it out for you.
How are you feeling after your Black Friday boot camp? Let us know what deals these tips helped you score in the comments below!