11 Celeb Couples Who Beat the Odds Despite This Scientific Relationship Red Flag
Recently, a study was released revealing that there is, in fact, an ideal age difference when it comes to lasting relationships. Apparently, the larger the age-gap in your relationship, the more likely you are to end up on the road to divorce. A five-year age gap means you’re 18 percent more likely to divorce, a 10-year difference translates to a 39 percent higher likelihood and a 20-year age gap means there’s nearly 100 percent chance of failure. Ouch! But don’t let that sway you if the love of your life happens to been somewhat younger or older than you, because there are certainly exceptions to every rule (or scientific study, in this case). The celebrity couples on this list are proof.
1. Mary-Kate Olsen + Olivier Sarkozy: Mary-Kate and Olivier are definitely still newlyweds, having just married back in November 2015 in a lavish and quirky wedding. They may have raised some eyebrows with their 16-year age gap when they first got together, but they’re proof that true love prevails. (Photo via Larry Busacca/Getty)
2. Beyoncé + Jay-Z: Beyoncé and Jay-Z may very well be the the biggest power couple in the music industry, and we all swoon over how they shout each other out in their music. Jay is actually 12 years older than Bey, but that doesn’t seem to deter their long-lasting relationship success — not to mention music-world domination. (Photo via Al Bello/Getty)
3. Angelina Jolie + Brad Pitt: If there’s any couple that could challenge Beyoncé and Jay-Z in popularity, it just might be Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, aka Brangelina. The proud parents of six adorable little ones have an 11-year age gap between them, with Angelina turning 41 this year and Brad at 52. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
4. Demi Lovato + Wilmer Valderrama: Demi Lovato and Wilmer Valderrama are constantly fielding questions about whether they’re engaged yet, but probably, it’s because they’re just so darn adorable together. Their love is four years strong and apparently isn’t hindered at all by the 13-year age gap between them. (Photo via Christopher Polk/Getty)
5. Blake Lively + Ryan Reynolds: Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds are the proud parents of baby James, and even through they’re constantly jet-setting with their busy movie-filming careers, they still find the time to really appreciate each other. There might be an 11-year gap between them, but they don’t seem to care. (Photo via Michael Loccisano/Getty)
6. Johnny Depp + Amber Heard: Johnny Depp and Amber Heard are certainly a red-carpet-worthy duo. The couple met on set of The Rum Diary back in 2011, got engaged in early 2015 and wed later in the year. The 23 years between them is peanuts for this ultra photogenic couple. (Photo via Alison Buck/Getty)
7. Rosie Huntington-Whitely + Jason Statham: Long term partners Rosie Huntinton-Whitely and Jason Staham haven’t tied the knot quite yet, but are totally ready to walk down the aisle (have you seen her stunning rock?) with no care to the 20 years between them. (Photo via Mark Davis/Getty)
8. Anna Paquin + Stephen Moyer: Co-stars Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer hooked up on the set of True Blood, and it was definitely true love despite their 12-year age gap. The show ran for seven seasons, but their love is still going strong. (Photo via Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty)
9. Behati Prinsloo + Adam Levine: Behati Prinsloo and Adam Levine aren’t just really, really ridiculously good-looking, but they’re also putting this age gap study to shame. The couple started dating in 2012 and got married in 2014. It certainly seems like their 10-year age gap is doing nothing to put out that fire. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
10. Harrison Ford + Calista Flockhart: Sure, 10 year age-gaps may seem like a big deal — unless you’re Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart, that is. Han Solo and Ally McBeal have been together since meeting in 2002, and they couldn’t seem to care less about their 23-year age difference. (Photo via Ethan Miller/Getty)
11. Michael Douglas + Catherine Zeta-Jones: Even Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart can’t top Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones, who sport a whopping age difference of 25 years. The couple, who’s been together for 16 years and have two children together, definitely prove love endures no matter how old you are. (Photo via Joshua Blanchard/Getty)
Do you have an age gap in your relationship? Let us know @BritandCo!