8 of the Most Surprising Red Carpet Couples of All Time
When the Oscars’ red carpet rolls around, there are certain couples we can pretty much always count on to show up looking cuter than ever. Brad and Angelina, Eddie Redmayne and his wife Hannah-Bagshawe, Chrissy Teigen and John Legend… But anyone who’s ever seen a tabloid knows that celebrity couples often have a relatively short lifespan. And so when we decided to look back at the red carpet couples of the Academy Awards’ past, we rediscovered a whole bunch of duos we totally forgot ever existed. Scroll on down to take a look at all the now Hollywood exes who made us do a double take.
1. Jake Gylenhall + Reese Witherspoon: Damn, why didn’t this couple work out again? Oh right, probably because that much adorability packed into one couple would make the world explode. (Photo via Kevin Mazur/Getty)
2. Juliette Lewis + Brad Pitt: We tend to think of Angelina and Jennifer as Brad’s two big loves, but before them (and Gwyneth) came Juliette Lewis. The two dated for four years when they were both on the cusp of total stardom. These two just might be tied with Johnny Depp and Kate Moss as the most ’90s couple that’s ever existed. (Photo via Jim Smeal/Getty)
3. Michael Jackson + Brooke Shields: A budding supermodel and a global pop sensation? It’s kind of a Hollywood match made in heaven. That dress on the other hand? We’re not so sure. (Photo via Ron Galella/Getty)
4. Matthew Broderick + Jennifer Grey: As much as we’d like to believe Sarah Jessica Parker was Matthew Broderick’s one and only, this couple makes a lot of sense. The two were both the main characters in epic teen ’80s movies – we’ll just forget about the fact that they played brother and sister in one of them… (Photo via Jim Smeal/Getty)
5. Drew Barrymore + Corey Feldman: Feldman once said that his first date with Drew was arranged by her mother when she was 10 and he was 14, because apparently Barrymore had a huge crush on him. They later dated briefly (this time for real) in 1989, when Drew was a teenager. Unfortunately, he was heavily into drugs during that time and she was trying to stay sober after multiple stints in rehab, so it didn’t last long. (Photo via Steve Granitz/Getty)
6. Winona Ryder + Christian Slater: Here’s to hoping this relationship ended a little more amicably than it did for their Heathers characters. (Photo via Ron Galella/Getty)
7. Julia Roberts + Kiefer Sutherland: It was supposed to be one of the biggest Hollywood weddings ever, and then all of a sudden, Julia called it off. Tragic. At least we have this red carpet moment to remember the couple by. (Photo via Ron Galella/Getty)
8. Stacy Keibler + George Clooney: Now that Amal is in the picture, it’s hard to imagine George with anyone else. But before that British vision of elegance came Stacy Keibler, the stunning professional wrestler and George’s beau for two years. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
Who’s your favorite throwback red carpet couple? Share with us on Twitter @BritandCo.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)