20 Summertime Heirloom Tomato Recipes
Maybe it’s their array of colors or that every one is charmingly unique, but there’s something about heirloom tomatoes that make us uncontrollably giddy — and hungry. In the past, maybe you’ve tossed them in a panzanella salad with chunks of crusty bread, cracked pepper and fresh basil, but these colorful tomatoes have so much more to offer. Think open-faced veggie sandwiches, cheddar grits and cocktails… yes, even cocktails.
1. Heirloom Tomato Frico Cups: Don’t let their size fool you. These crispy Parmesan cups are full of flavor. They’re packed with heirlooms, red peppers, capers, parsley, lemon zest and creamy goat cheese. (via Foodie Crush)
2. Crispy Fried Heirloom Tomatoes: Fry up some colorful heirlooms, layer in fresh mozzarella and basil leaves and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It’s really that simple. (via The Cozy Apron)
3. Roasted Eggplant and Heirloom Tomato Open-Faced Sandwich: This hearty open-faced sandwich magically marries roasted eggplant, heirloom tomatoes and tahini. Rip up a few fresh mint leaves and sprinkle on some cracked black pepper for the finishing touch. (via Sunday Suppers)
9. Pork Carnitas With Heirloom Tomato Salsa: Whether you’re chowing down on these slow cooker pork tacos or whipping up your weekly veggie ones, don’t forget to toss on this heirloom tomato salsa, made with cabbage, radishes and red onions! (via Baked Bree)
10. Chilled Heirloom Tomato Soup: Gazpacho and summer go hand in hand, but this bowl of chilled heirloom tomato soup will make an especially great addition to any warm weather menu. Seasoned with fresh oregano and garnished with avocado oil and shaved Manchego? We might just lick the bowl clean. (via Cannelle et Vanille)
12. Heirloom Tomato Lasagna: We know. Lasagna recipes are sacred. But sub in heirloom tomatoes for the regular reds and add baby spinach, kale and chard for a nutrient-packed summer meal that won’t break with tradition too much. (via Yummy Mummy Kitchen)
13. Heirloom Tomato and Basil Frittata: Top your next frittata with heirloom tomatoes for a delicious and visually stunning dish. (And maybe be a little more generous than usual with the gruyere.) (via F for Food)
14. Smoked Cheddar Grits With Broiled Heirloom Tomatoes: Heirloom tomato toppers bring some brightness to these smoked cheddar grits served in utterly adorable mini ramekins. (via Oh My Veggies)
17. Grilled Heirloom Tomato Checca Pizza: Don’t expect leftovers when you make this grilled pita bread pizza with heirloom tomato checca and fresh mozzarella. Because let’s not kid ourselves here: We’re definitely eating the whole thing in one sitting. (via Camille Styles)
20. Muddled Heirloom Tomato Cocktail: You thought we were going Bloody Mary on this one, didn’t you? While heirloom tomato Bloody Marys are completely fabulous, we thought we’d try something a little different for our next brunch cocktail. This yellow delight is made with gin, muddled heirlooms, fresh basil, lemon juice and simple syrup. (via Smith and Ratliff)
Which of these tasty heirloom tomato recipes are you most excited to try first? Tell us in the comments below!