15 Cinco de Mayo Recipes That Aren’t Tacos
While the most obvious choice for celebrating Cinco de Mayo might be your old taco night standbys and a big bowl of guacamole, for the ultimate spread, we recommend branching out and trying some new dishes. Impress your fellow margarita-drinking buddies with your vast knowledge of Mexican cuisine, from spicy soups to chalupas you won't find at Taco Bell. Don't forget the essential every-kind-of-hot-sauce bar either. Try these 15 Mexican-inspired recipes for the most delicious fiesta.
1. Elote: This tasty street food snack is so fun to eat. Try grilling the corn instead of boiling for a nice char and smokey flavor — either way, they’re getting slathered in mayonnaise and cotija cheese, so they’re bound to please. (via So Munch Love)
2. Chicken Flautas With Avocado Crema and Ancho Chile and Tamarind Sauce: These chicken flautas are the ideal finger food for a party. Because the contents are baked and sealed inside a rolled tortilla, you won’t even need a fork and knife to eat them. They make a great portable bite for those times when your favorite song comes on and you *have* to bust a move. (via Hatchery)
3. Brisket Sopes: If you love tacos, you’ll adore sopes. They’re a traditional Mexican dish made from thick rounds of fried masa, and this version is topped with ultra-tender slow-cooked brisket. Crack open a cold cerveza and enjoy. (via Muy Bueno Cookbook)
4. Jicama, Mango and Citrus Salad: This refreshing salad, full of tropical flavors and fresh citrus, will make you feel like you’re on vacation. There’s no wrong way to enjoy it: Eat it plain or packed into lettuce as a delicious wrap. (via Sobre Mesa)
5. Cheesy Avocado Quesadilla: If you’re short on time but still want to party, these quesadillas are just the dish for you. Upgrade the basic cheese ‘dillas you know and love from childhood with avocado slices and seasoned ground beef, for a hearty bite that’s easy to make but still tastes impressive. (via Damn Delicious)
6. Avocado and Tomatillo Green Chile Salsa and Baked Flour Tortilla Chips: This creamy salsa is like a cross between salsa verde and guacamole. This means it’s highly addictive, so you better have a lot of chips handy. Try it on top of tacos, nachos or even on a torta — this salsa tastes good on *everything*. (via Muy Bueno Cookbook)
7. Easy Restaurant Style White Queso: This ooey, gooey white queso is bound to steal the show at any party thanks to a fiery kick from red pepper flakes and pickled jalapeños. You’d better make extra to feed the margarita-drinking crowd. (via The Cookie Rookie)
8. Churros With Chocolate and Espresso Sauce: What’s better than fried dough and chocolate? If you can come up with something, good for you — we’ll be over here munching on these churros. These amazing, crispy treats are coated in cinnamon sugar and paired with a velvety chocolate and espresso dipping sauce you won’t be able to get enough of. (via Drizzle and Drip)
9. Skinny Mexican Pizza: Quash two cravings at once with Mexican Pizza. Though it’s hard to pinpoint many similarities between this dish and actual pizza (save for its round, open-faced nature), once you take a bite, you’ll get it. Cut into slices and share with friends… or don’t share at all. (via Snixy Kitchen)
10. Ceviche: Use sushi-grade fish for the best taste and peace of mind. Though you’ll be marinating the fish in lime juice, you’ll still want the freshest, best quality product you can get. (via Feasting at Home)
11. Mexican Torta With Refried Beans and Guacamole: Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with the most delicious Mexican sandwich around. Some of the bread is scooped out to make extra room for fillings like refried beans, guacamole and cheese. We’re okay with that, and we might even suggest saving those bread fillings for sopping up any sandwich spillage. You’re welcome. (via Amuse Your Bouche)
12. Mexican Street Corn Salad: Forgo the corn on a stick for a less-messy, easy-to-eat elote salad. Add black beans, red onions and bell peppers to make it more salad-like and colorful. Bonus: The dressing uses yogurt instead of mayonnaise and sour cream for a healthy twist. (via Live Eat Learn)
13. Red Beef Pozole: This traditional Mexican soup is full of tender stewed beef, hominy (dried maize) and a super flavorful red chili sauce. It’d be nice if you had leftovers after your Cinco de Mayo festivities, but don’t count on it — this soup doesn’t play around. (via Muy Delish)
14. Homemade Chalupas: These chalupas are nothing like the kind you’ll find at your local Taco Bell. Set out toppings like shredded beef, avocado, salsa and cheese, and let everyone assemble their own. (via The Stay at Home Chef)
15. Chicken Enchiladas With Salsa Verde: These saucy enchiladas take a little patience to prepare, but they’re totally worth it. Invite some friends to make the process fly by. You’ll need to fry the tortillas, dunk them in sauce, fill and roll, so the more friends on this assembly line the merrier. (via Tasting Table)
Follow us on Pinterest for more easy + delicious recipe ideas.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)