This Quick Delicious Mexican Street-Food Snack Is a Fiesta in Your Mouth
When it comes to corn on the cob, we usually stick to the basics; the mixture of melted butter and sprinkled salt are what dreams are made of. And because this classic grilled corn recipe has been a go-to for most of us ever since we were children, it’s hard to imagine that anything could come close to such a perfect combination of sweet and salty… until now. In Mexico, there’s a traditional street food recipe called the elote. It’s covered in layers of Cotija cheese, garlic mayo and cilantro with a squeeze of lime. It’s basically the holy grail of street food because your tastebuds are going to have a giant fiesta after one bite. Don’t believe us? Scroll on to check out the photos and the recipe, and just try not to drool on your computer.
— 3-4 ears sweet corn
— 4 Tablespoons mayonnaise
— ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
— ½ cup crumbled Cotija cheese
— 2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
— 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
— 1 quartered lime
1. Shuck each corn and place in a cask iron skillet over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, or until they start to brown.
2. In a small bowl, mix together mayo and garlic powder.
3. Remove all three pieces of corn from skillet and place them on a plate.
4. Smear mayo/garlic mixture on the corn.
5. Take an ear of corn and roll it in the Cotija cheese until it’s completely covered.
6. Sprinkle cayenne powder and cilantro on top.
7. Squeeze lime all over the corn.
Shuck each piece of corn and place them in a cask iron skillet over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, or until they start to brown.
In a small bowl, mix together mayo and garlic powder.
Remove all three pieces of corn from the skillet and place them on a plate. Smear mayo/garlic mixture on top. Then, take an ear of corn and roll it in the Cotija cheese until it completely covers it. Next, sprinkle cayenne powder and cilantro on top.
Squeeze lime all over the corn.
We’ll take all three, please.
What’s your quick and easy summer dish? Share your pics with us on Instagram using the hashtag #iamcreative!