13 Totally DIYable Manis to Rock in 2016
Traditional resolutions aside, the start of a new year often brings a slew of exciting changes. From switching up your on- and off-duty outfit game (hello, athleisure wear!) to test-driving a dramatic new ‘do, there’s no shortage of creative ways to reinvent yourself in 2016. But if you’re looking for a more subtle way to upgrade your look — that won’t result in a spontaneous freak-out sesh — there’s something to be said about a game-changing new mani. Think negative space details, fun checkerboard digits and graphic lines galore. Going beyond a fresh coat of polish, we’ve uncovered 13 must-try nail designs that are totally DIY-able and on trend for spring.
2. Checkerboard Nails: Spotted at the spring shows (we’re looking at you, Opening Ceremony), these black and white digits are guaranteed to add major pattern play to every #OOTD. Create your own checkerboard design by painting tiny squares of tape for easy stick-on-and-go application. (via @mpnails)
3. Modern Moon: You heard it here first: Baby half-moons are officially the next big thang. Leave it to Eva Chen to make a statement with her Insta-worthy nude mani during the holidays. #ProTip: Swap out the evergreen for a hot pink accent just in time for Valentine’s Day. (via @evachen212)
4. Vertical Stripes: Proof that less = more, this runway-ready manicure is all about minimal stripes. Get the look by applying a white base coat and using a nail art brush to achieve a thin vertical or horizontal stripe for a bold, statement-making look. (via @orlynails)
5. Crisscross Design: “X” marks the spot with this barely-there, low-maintenance mani courtesy of nail artist, Jin Soon Choi. Simply apply a clear base coat and paint two lines for a one-and-done mani that doesn’t require any touch-ups. #Winning (via @jinsoonchoi)
6. Subtle Floral: Calling all 2016 brides: THIS is the sophisticated floral mani that you need to bookmark STAT. The perfect blend of girly and feminine, these pearl embellished tips won’t go unnoticed, whether it’s your wedding day or a spring soiree. (via @misspopnails)
8. Gold Accents: Add instant bling to your negative-space nails with gold stripes for an anything-but-drab look that’s perfect for a night on the town. Vary the line thickness and change up the placement to keep the design surprising. (via @chalkboardnails)
9. Inverted French: The verdict is in: French manicures are back and better than ever. For an upside-down French mani that’s so *right now*, layer two contrasting nail colors for a stark outline. (via @oliveandjune)
10. Subtle Ombre: Spring break getaway? A subtle ombre design utilizing Pantone’s two colors of the year (or any equally-striking duo) will straight up stun. Opt for one sheer polish and a shimmery topcoat to lightly brush on your cuticles for a gradual fading effect. (via @chelseaqueen)
11. Less is More: Besides adding a fun and unexpected pop of color to your daily look, painting just the tips of your nails is a cinch. Start by selecting a vibrant, springy hue and then use washi tape to establish a clean, dramatic edge. (via @jinsoon)
12. All That Glitters: When in doubt, go for GLITTER. In lieu of a sparkly accent nail (been there, done that), try adding some serious bling to your mani with a three-dimensional topcoat or shimmery cuticles. (via @julepmaven)
13. Modern + Minimalist: Play up negative-space nails by juxtaposing metallic tips with an upside-down crescent shape in an attention-getting hue – like fluorescent yellow or cherry red – for an artful mani. (via @mtmorgantaylor)
Can’t get enough new-year nail-art ideas? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful designs for your digits!