19 Unpredictable Pumpkin Pie Recipes to Make This Fall
It’s fall, people — which means we are about to be inundated with all things pumpkin. From our Instagram feeds to the never-ending line at Starbucks, that big orange fruit (yes, fruit!) is everywhere. So when you are asked to bring a pumpkin dessert to the next party/brunch/shindig on your calendar, it may seem appropriate to bring the ever-popular pumpkin pie. But just because you’ve got orange in your eyes doesn’t mean you have to bring the same old pie everyone has had a million times over. Why not dress it up a little instead? Pour on some caramel. Add some pecans. Get crazy with it. Get inspired with these 19 anything-but-ordinary pumpkin pie recipes.
1. Easy Pumpkin Pie Bites: These little pumpkin pie creations are wrapped in pillowy, buttery pie crust and topped with whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice. The fact that they’re bite-sized makes them the perfect dessert for a casual Thanksgiving gathering — OR for bringing as a hostess gift! (via Sugar Apron)
2. Raw Pumpkin Pie Tarts: These raw vegan pumpkin pie tarts are muffin-sized and perfect for passing. Top them with a whole pecan and some shredded coconut to add to their pumpkiny flavor and ultra-creamy texture. (via Raw Manda)
3. Pumpkin Whoopie Pies: Two moist pumpkin pie cakes surround fluffy brown butter buttercream icing to make this dessert that is somehow both familiar and unlike anything else you ever had all at the same time. Never heard of brown butter? It’s just butter that’s been heated on the stovetop on low heat until it’s a nice shade of golden brown. (via The Cafe Sucre Farine)
4. Turtle Pumpkin Pie: Straightforward directions and absolutely no baking means this is a great recipe for tiny helpers. Chill for one hour and top with caramel sauce before serving. (via Cooking Classy)
5. Pumpkin Pie Macarons: If you have any Francophiles in your fam, they’re sure to love these cute macarons. They’re flavored with pecan and pumpkin pie spice, giving them the ultimate fall feeling. (via Annie’s Eats)
6. Pumpkin Pie Parfaits: These super-yummy parfaits are made with canned pumpkin and topped with whipped cream. If you’re wondering what adds the “crust” element to these delicious treats, it’s… Wait for it… GOLDEN OREOS. Yep, we’re sold. (via Spend With Pennies)
7. Pumpkin Crumble Cake: Layers of silky pumpkin pie, yellow cake, crunchy chopped walnuts and whipped cream make this something you will be proud to bring to the party. Little tip: You can make this fabulous cake gluten-free if you choose a gluten-free cake mixture. Score! (via Sugar And Soul)
8. Mini Pumpkin Pie Tarts: We can’t help but love mini-sized desserts, and seeing as these only have five ingredients, we love them even more. Pro tip: Put the pumpkin mixture into a zip-lock back and cut a tiny hole in the corner to create a homemade piping bag. (via Lovely Little Kitchen)
9. Spiced Pumpkin Hand Pies: What’s better than pumpkin pie? Pumpkin hand pies. The pumpkin puree and cream cheese filling is light, delicious and so good you should probably just go ahead and grab one for each hand. (via Green Thumb White Apron)
10. Perfect Paleo Pumpkin Pie: This super amazing creation is completely gluten-free and paleo-friendly. The secret to its health factor is its nutty crust, which is composed of pecans or walnuts, and its use of dates (rather than sugar) for sweetness. (via Paleo Running Mama)
11. Pumpkin Pie Pop Tarts: Now you can even have pumpkin pie for breakfast with these homemade pop tarts. Make the crust yourself if you’re feeling adventurous or use store-bought puff pastry to keep things simple. Either way, you won’t be disappointed. (via Cooking Classy)
12. Coconut Pumpkin Chiffon Pie: This coconut and pumpkin pie is the perfect thing to make in those tricky transitional weeks between the end of summer and the beginning of fall. Think of it as the cardigan of desserts. (via Spicy Southern Kitchen)
13. Raw Vegan Pumpkin Pie: If you have any plant-based eaters in your crew, making a vegan dish is completely essential. Pumpkin pie is one of the best places to sub, because the base of this cake is, well, pumpkin! Look for coconut whipped cream to top your veg-friendly creation. (via Cake Merchant)
14. Pumpkin Bliss Balls: These cute and SUPER healthy desserts are both sweet enough for finishing your meal and wholesome enough to enjoy as an appetizer. They’re rolled in cacao nibs, pumpkin seeds and crushed pecans — pick your favorite or make all three. (via Raw Revive)
15. Pumpkin Pie Cinnamon Rolls: Not even your beloved cinnamon rolls are safe from the pumpkin invasion. After one taste of the pumpkin-spiced cream cheese frosting, you’ll forget all about those other ones (at least for now). (via Diethood)
16. Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie: Serve it warm or chill it first; there is no wrong way to eat this lovely layered dessert. The crunchy streusel topping and thick cheesecake will give your standard pumpkin pie a run for its money. (via Taste and Tell Blog)
17. Pumpkin Pie Truffles: With creamy pumpkin pie filling wrapped in a coating of white or dark chocolate, these truffles just made it to the top of our fall baking list. Add finely chopped nuts or graham crackers to the top for an added crunch. (via Cooking Classy)
18. Amaretto-Almond Crunch Pumpkin Pie: From the amaretto liqueur in the batter to the crushed Italian cookies on top, this pie is hitting all the right notes. Say hello to the new family favorite. (via Taming of the Spoon)
19. Vegan Pumpkin Pie Cream Squares: These plant-based squares combine the flavors of pumpkin pie with the convenience of raw cooking. You’ll have to let these sit in the fridge overnight to get the best results, so they’re a perfect make-ahead option. (via Sweetly Raw)
Follow us on Pinterest for more holiday recipe ideas, from vegan to paleo to deliciously naughty.
Additional reporting by Maggie McCracken.