For Royals and Radioactive Rockers: A Pretty Playlist of Grammy Beauty
Get Lucky, Radioactive, Royals, Locked Out of Heaven, Blurred Lines— this year’s Record of the Year category might as well be a grand Grammy face-off between all of our favorite workout jams. While we’re used to these tunes pushing us to move it-move it, today we’re letting them inspire a pretty playlist of makeup and hair we want to remix into our every day routines.
1. Up All Night ‘til the Sun Shadow: Our favorite Daft Punk/Pharrell song of the summer comes to life with a glitzy gold and coral eyeshadow duo that looks like a *surprise!* sunrise might after a long night of partying heartily. (via Keiko Lynn)
2. Legend of the Phoenix Gold Lips: You’ll need these unexpected gold lips to a) light up the night and b) pout your way past any bouncer that threatens you with that “wait in line” business. (via Refinery29)
3. Get Lucky Gold Nail Charms: We’re up all night just Pinning and pining for nail art. You too? While we’re charmed by these dollar sign decals, a steady hand and gold nail art pen over a shimmery shade would do the trick too! (via Pinterest)
4. Crown of Curls Hair How-To: Sigh, we know, we know, Lorde! We’ll never be royals (“roooyals”) but at least can we have your hair? Please?! You can at least give it a shot with our wave tutorial! (via Brit + Co.)
5. Oh Lorde: Fit for a Queen Eye Makeup: We’re driving Cadillacs in our dreams… over to Lorde’s house to get her to do our makeup before school in the morning. Or just copping her cute cat eye from this beauty blogger. (via From Head to Toe)
7. We’ll Paint it Red Warpaint: How would you do your makeup the morning of an apocalyptic revolution? Probably like this. We plucked this prettiness from Pinterest to bring the Imagine Dragons tune to life, but recreate the winged shadow here and the bright red kisser here! (via Pinterest)
9. Welcome to the New Age Nail Art: Electrify a tired tribal mani with fluorescent fingertips. We’re using this pic as Pinspiration and a tribal tutorial (we like this one!) to get us going. (via Pinterest)
11. Your Kiss Takes Me to Paradise, Too: “Blurred Lines” isn’t the only record of the year that makes us think of being naked. Nude lips will let silver shadow shine and still look sweet. (via The Beauty Department)
12. Hair Braid Halo: You can see our halo (halo, halo) any day of the week, Bruno. Your favorite angelic ‘do will capture the spirit of his song, but we’re especially smitten with this pretty look. (via Hair Romance)
13. Everybody Get Up Brow: We do hate blurred lines when it comes to brows, Robin Thicke. Our makeup maven crush Michelle shows us how to pencil in a strong pair a la model Cara Delevingne. (via Michelle Phan)
15. Far From Plastic Pony Plait + Gold Scrunchie ($6): When pretty much all you’re wearing is your bday suit, your hair has to look killer. Get the high ponytail rope braid straight from the video topped off with gold lamé. (via Allure)
Who do you think is taking home Record of the Year Sunday? Has music ever inspired your makeup or hair? Share below!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.