Whether you’re looking for an alternative to the regular ol’ cream-of-mushroom-and-fried-onion casserole at the holidays or wondering what to do with a bumper crop of green beans at the height of summer, we have you covered with this collection. Featuring 14 fantastic, can-opener-free recipes for serving up a side dish of green beans, there’s a combination of flavors fit for every palate. If you’re dead set on a casserole, though, we won’t stand in your way. Instead, we encourage you to click over here to take a peek at modern takes that may or may not incorporate a bit of bacon. (mmm, bacon.)
1. Oven Baked Green Beans With Parmesan Cheese: Why mess with a good thing? A quick toss in olive oil and a sprinkle of S+P followed by a finishing spritz of lemon juice and pile of Parm grated over the top is all you need to create one flavorful side. (via Cooking LSL)
3. Garlic Green Beans With Anchovies, Parmesan and Walnuts: In only 10 minutes, these umami-packed beans will be ready for your enjoyment. Between the Parmesan, garlic and toasted nuts, the fishy anchovy flavor practically melts away, leaving behind a savory saltiness in its wake. (via Things I Made Today)
6. Roasted Garlic Butter Haricot Vert: Roasted garlic provides a lovely sweet flavor to these fine, French green beans. Unlike the sauteed stuff, roasted garlic’s flavor is subtle enough to complement the beans without overwhelming them. (via The Lazy Mom’s Cooking Blog)
9. Green Bean Fries: We’re always looking for healthier ways to get our fry fix, and boy do these green beans deliver. Covered in a crispy seasoned cornbread coating, you don’t even need to serve ’em with the lemon-garlic aioli… but a little extra touch of flavor never hurt, right? (via Brit + Co)
12. Zucchini, Bean + Blue Cheese Salad With Walnuts: Ribbons of zucchini lace themselves through a tangle of beans, cheese and walnuts to create this stunning salad. Finished with a drizzle of walnut oil, lemon, Dijon and honey vinaigrette, we can only imagine how happy our taste buds would be to try it. (via Drizzle and Dip)
13. Garlicky Green Beans Almondine: A touch of garlic and bacon fat transforms this classic green bean dish into something extraordinary. In other words: It’s worlds better than any of the frozen varieties we grew up with. (via Simply Scratch)
What’s your favorite way to dish up fresh green beans? Do you enjoy them year-round, at the holidays or only at the peak of summer? Chat with us in the comments!