20 Healthy Hacks to Help You Keep Those Resolutions
Keep those New Year’s healthy-eating resolutions in check with these 20 hacks for classic comfort food. From cake to cookies to savory eats of all sorts, we have you covered. Armed with these indulgent yet lightened-up recipes, you won’t feel like you’re missing out at all. Now that sounds like a recipe for making resolutions stick, doesn’t it?
1. Best Ever Vegan Avocado Chocolate Birthday Cake: Adding smooshed, heart-healthy avocado to the mix means you can get away with using just a few spoonfuls of oil for this amazingly moist, rich chocolate cake. The ganache poured over top also gets a healthy makeover by swapping out the usual heavy cream with light coconut milk. (via Ambitious Kitchen)
2. Healthy Mac and Cheese: It’s hard to believe that the ultra-creamy sauce enrobing each noodle contains nary a sprinkle of cheese. All of the credit goes to cashews and nutritional yeast; they’re quite the dairy doppelganger duo. (via Glowing Within)
5. Dry Roasted Chicken Wings: Crispy “naked” wings made without a dip in the fryer? We’re in. Coated in an outstanding dry seasoning blend, you won’t even miss the usual butter-doused kind. (via Lisa G Cooks)
7. Skinny Queso Dip: Nonfat Greek yogurt takes our favorite dip in a healthier direction while still preserving its characteristic creaminess. Pair a bowlful with an assortment of alternative chips for an overall healthier snacking experience. (via The Housewife in Training)
8. Grain-Free Paleo Pizza Crust: A terrific alternative to cauliflower crust pizzas, you can actually pick up slices of this pie and eat them like a true New Yorker. No fork or knife necessary. (via Savory Simple)
9. Oven-Baked Salty Onion Burgers: Sacrifice the bun and swap in a lettuce wrap for a lower carb yet no less crave-worthy meal. With baked fries served alongside, you’ll get the full burger joint experience with just a fraction of the calories. (via Eat More Food Project)
10. Healthy Panko-Crusted Chicken Nuggets: You won’t find any super-processed bites here. Coated with a light, crisp crust these nuggets of lean chicken breast hardly take any time at all to throw together. (via That Oven Feelin’)
11. Chocolate Waffles (Paleo): With a hefty dose of almond flour in the batter, you won’t experience hunger pangs (or a sugar crash) shortly after enjoying these chocolatey waffles. They have some serious staying power. (via Living Healthy With Chocolate)
13. Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies: Practically too good to be true, these healthy cookies are made with a surprising ingredient — let’s just say you probably have a can or two of these beans in your pantry already. (via Brit + Co)
18. Oven-Baked Tostadas: Piled high with toppings, you get a taste of both tacos and nachos in each bite of these terrific tostadas. As an added bonus, they only take about 10 minutes to make. (via Yellow Bliss Road)
Share your strategies for making classic foods skinnier with us below!