Halloween may just be the best holiday ever. Aside from it being socially acceptable to eat as many sweet treats as we can get our hands on, it also means getting to show off our creative side with our costumes. If you’re looking to DIY it this year, but aren’t sure where to start, we suggest rummaging through your recyclables for a little inspiration. No joke, that cardboard box or old lampshade you were planning on throwing away could instantly be turned into a creative homemade costume that will be sure to save you money and get lots of compliments. Think of it as a good reason to tidy up that spare closet in your laundry room. Keep scrolling for some of our favorite costumes made from materials you can find at home!
1. Tongue Twister: Grab your favorite swimsuit, an old jacket and a collection of shells and you’ll have a costume faster than you can say “Sally sells seashells by the seashore.” (via The House That Lars Built)
2. A Favorite Destination: Have a large cardboard box lying around? Get adventurous and use your favorite travel destination, such as the Copenhagen Row Houses, as inspiration for your costume. (via The House That Lars Built)
3. Leg Lamp: Get ready for Christmas in October with a nod to A Christmas Story. You could use an old bucket, cardboard or even a large silk lampshade. We love the retro touch this gal added! (Photo via Sebastian Jespersen)
4. Maleficent: Forgo spooky looks and release your inner villainess with this DIY Maleficent headdress. Most of us probably don’t have black vinyl casually laying around the house, but you could use black paint or duct tape for a result that is equally evil. (via Reuse and Restyle)
9. Cotton Candy: All you need for this cotton candy costume is some cotton or stuffing from an old pillow. Dye it pink and wrap it around your little one for a super sweet newborn costume. (via Style Me Pretty)
10. Vintage Robot: This robot-inspired DIY is made solely of recycled goods such as a cardboard box and lightbulb, making it a cute, creative costume option that is also good for the environment. (via Sweet Paul Mag)
15. Guess Who?: Leave your fellow party guests guessing with this mysterious board game costume. Simply cut out a square of cardboard, paint an old t-shirt and you have a perfect couples (or group) costume. (via Coolest Handmade Costumes)
Do you have any clever costume DIYs? Be sure to share with us in the comments!