If you think you love traveling, can you imagine how much you’d love finding love while traveling? Our favorite travel blogs certainly fill us with wanderlust and inspiration for incredible vacations — and we’ll always have a place in our hearts for riding solo. That being said, having someone to share your travels with is pretty great too.
It comes as no surprise then that, according to a Plenty of Fish survey, 70 percent of singles are open to meeting people while traveling. In fact, 46 percent of people make good on this desire by using dating apps while on vacation. More than half of singles say at some point they’ve struck up a great conversation with a stranger on a plane, and 22 percent have actually fallen in love on a trip.
So you’ve booked your tickets and are ready to meet your match, but where do you start? Dating at home is hard enough, and trying to meet people on the road can feel even more daunting. Calvin Iverson, travel expert at TravelPirates, has six key tips that might help you encounter “The One” while on vacation.
1. Don’t be afraid to talk to “strangers.” “I met my ex when he asked me for directions while I was traveling in Washington, DC,” Iverson says. “Rather than continue along my own way after explaining that I had no idea how to get where he was going, the two of us talked a bit more about why we were both in the area and agreed to get drinks the next day.” Iverson says that his experience taught him that the fear of talking to someone new is worth overcoming. “Don’t be afraid to extend the conversation a little longer than you normally would,” he advises.
2. Use dating apps. Your dating app of choice isn’t just for your hometown. Using a location-based dating app is a terrific way to meet new people no matter where you are. At the very least, you’ll be able to experience a place through the eyes of a local. So don’t stop swiping just because there’s a change of scenery!
3. Try Meetup.com. “Meetup is great for finding groups of people interested in the same things as you — a running club, book club, brewery tours, you name it,” Iverson says. “Scan for groups that fit your interests in the destination you’ve traveled to and plan to go to one of their events. You’ll know you already have something in common should you have your eye on someone in the group.”
4. Go on walking tours or cheap group activities. Regardless of whether or not you’re looking for love, walking tours will help you get a handle on an unfamiliar location. And any kind of group activity will introduce you to new people who might be looking for someone new too. When you first get to your hotel or in advance of your trip, do a little Googling to scope out options in the area. And if you’re staying at an Airbnb, even better — ask your host for some suggestions.
5. Say yes! “Traveling to a new location is all about exploration,” Iverson says. “Be open to finding love in unexpected places. Accept invitations to parties or events from your friends. Head to the local restaurants and cafes. Just like back at home, you’ll find that love can be found anywhere.”
6. Take a singles-only trip. There are plenty of companies that host singles-only vacations to essentially anywhere in the world on a variety of budgets. While taking the plunge on a singles-only trip might feel like a risk, it’s one that Iverson says has a strong prospect of paying off. Since everyone around you is also single, your chances of finding love are that much greater.
Have you found love while traveling? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Photo via Getty)