I Tried to Live Like a French Girl for a Day and Felt Tres Chic
Don’t you wish you were in Paris right now? ME TOO. So much so that I decided to pretend I was in France for the day, without having to pack a single bag, dig out my passport or fly thousands of miles (or spend a gazillion dollars for that matter). If I wasn’t able to bring myself to Paris, I’d bring Paris to me. From what to wear to what to eat to what to listen to, here’s how I celebrated my Francophile-ness in my own home (and you can too!).
1. Get dressed like a French girl. You might be tempted to lounge around the house in sweats and a tank, but seriously, would a stylish French lady EVER be caught wearing that even in the privacy of their own home? I think not. Put on your most on-fleek, yes-I-could-be-in-Paris-right-now outfit. You could go classic (think striped shirts, a scarf on your neck and a pair of slim pants) or get some tips from our 15 New Ways to Nail French Girl Style for a more modern spin. There are some looks that are totally TD.
2. Smell like a French woman. The French love their perfumes, so for your day of embracing all things francais, you should dab on a scent that conjures up Paris. The world’s most famous perfume — Chanel No. 5 — is TOTALLY French, albeit old-school. Other classics include Cacharel Anaïs Anaïs, Guerlain Shalimar and Yves Saint Laurent Opium. I went with my old stand-by from high school days, the aptly named Paris by Yves Saint Laurent. It’s a mix of mimosa, orange flower, rose, moss, sandalwood and amber, and it totally takes me away to the city of lights (and being 16!).
3. Enjoy the sweet sounds of French music. The French have a unique sound, especially their music from the ’60s. I pulled out a few iconic French singers for my day of living French, including Serge Gainsbourg (his songs with Brigitte Bardot are ah-mazing!), France Gall and Francoise Hardy. I also threw on more contemporary sounds from the likes of Stereolab and Stereo Total. Additionally, if it’s more up your alley, you could enjoy some modern sounds from Daft Punk, Air, Phoenix or Justice.
4. Do a French-inspired DIY. A super chic (and easy) project to tackle is our ascot scarves tutorial, or do some decoupage (we’ve got some sweeeeet suggestions here). I spent my day of celebrating Frenchness working on my embroidery ode to Brigitte Bardot, where I filled in the rose that the GORG French starlet of yore is holding in an old vintage pic.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by M A R I S A L A T H E R (@voguerhythm) on
5. Drink some French wine. You gots to! On a beautiful day like this, I grabbed a lovely rosé. But really, any Beaujolais, Bordeaux, Burgundy or Champagne will do!
6. Eat all the French foods! Okay, maybe not all of them. Not only will you get a tummy ache, but some things just aren’t that tasty (we’re talking to you, escargot and frog legs). But I’m alllllll for the cheese, macarons, croissants, crème brûlée, cheese, Salade Niçoise, boeuf bourguignon, steak frites, cheese and even more cheese. To really get the taste of France, I bought some brie and a freshly baked baguette and snacked on that. For dinner, I made a totally delish bistro style beef stew, and we had a few super yummy macarons for dessert. So, so yum!
7. Watch a French movie. I dare you to watch Amélie and not want to book a plane ticket to Paris, like tout de suite. It’s oh so irresistible and oh so French. To get in the mood, you might also wanna watch movies that honor three of France’s most famous women, like Coco Before Chanel, La Vie en Rose (about Edith Piaf) or The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc. If you’re feeling like going old school, check out Jean-Luc Godard’s Breathless, François Truffaut’s Jules and Jim or Luis Buñuel’s Belle du Jour. (Photo via Miramax)
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Louise Ebel (@louiseebelpandora) on
8. Get Some French Inspo from Instagram. Following these peeps will have random French pics pop up on your Instagram feed all day long! I spent some time following some new French faves like Lindsey Tramuta (@lostncheeseland) for drool-worthy food pics; Joanna Lemanska (@misscoolpics) and VuTheara Kham (@vutheara ) for iconic images of Paris; Anne Hidalgo (the mayor of Paris) and all the chic ladies on our 15 French Girl Instagram Accounts You Need to Follow list.
What’s your fave way to celebrate that French lifestyle? Tweet us @BritandCo and let us know!
(Featured photo via Getty)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.